No announcement yet.

What's your weather like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you enjoying being 'home' Gis, do you miss the US of A or are you quite happy being where you are?

Cooler here again today, love having the bedroom window wide open.

Comment

• Originally posted by momckee View Post
      How are you enjoying being 'home' Gis, do you miss the US of A or are you quite happy being where you are?
      I'd rather still be in the US, but, kinda glad to be home as well
      I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

• Not sure of other countries... are hurricanes or tornados a weather problem there ? Gis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• We don't really have hurricanes & tornados 4's. We have strong, gale force winds sometimes but it is rare to have prolonged wind at much more than 50 miles per hour. There will be the occasional gusts of more than that. The west coast of the UK and Ireland have had it much worse than us this time, trees blown down etc.

Comment

• Well after I typed that I actually thought of the winds off west Africa.... blah blah
            We live in Tornado Alley it’s awful! And we’re ice more than snow that sux. No hurricanes of course. And hopefully no earthquakes!!

Comment

• There was a damaging tornado swept through the western part of Ottawa yesterday, lots of damage and lost power. We had a brief wind storm yesterday around supper time and we lost our Internet, tv, and phone until this morning. It was to do with equipment of our cable company which was blown down.

Comment

• rain rain rain
                YEA!!!!!

Comment

• Cool and dull, rain predicted.

- - - Updated - - -

Was that Sophie watching tv?

Comment

• Yes we hook up the laptop to watch the cliff diving on the TV..... she has a front row seat to her very own “big screen “ — she can SEE the divers tumbling thru the air—-
                    Funny!

Comment

• Finally seeing signs of the season cooling down here in SoDrySoCal. My box turtle Chuck is starting to examine possible hibernation spots in preparation for the Big Sleep. Still no hint of rain in the forecast.
                      sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

• Dan glad to hear Chuck is out & about. He lives mainly outside? What do u do when u mow? How long will he sleep?

Comment

• Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
                          Dan glad to hear Chuck is out & about. He lives mainly outside?
                          Yes, he's been living outside since his second summer. He was hatched in late October of 2008 and spent that winter and the next living indoors, then in the summer of 2010, he moved to a 5'x2.5' outdoor pen until I thought he was big enough that he wouldn't squeeze through a gate to our side yard where his pen was located. I think that ended up being in spring of 2012, although he did manage to escape a couple summers later by tilting on his side and sliding through a gap between the steel chain link gate and the steel gate post. The front and back edges of his shell got a traumatic gnawing from our cocker Velcro, but he seems to be none the worse for wear. The edges of his shell are slowly smoothing out. His Facebook name is Chuck Turtlebefree, from a blog he used to have where he was always talking about big plans to escape, and signed off every blog entry with the words "Until that day..." He's backed off a little from that goal since the gnawing incident, but he still comes to the gate and gazes longingly through the chain link, even if both of the dogs are there.

What do u do when u mow?
                          Since he's behind a gate, I don't worry about running over him. I usually mow and weed whack his side of the house in the spring when he's about to come out of hibernation and then let it grow the rest of the year. It gives him places to hide and forage for bugs and dandelions and stuff. The side yard is about 30'x8' and has a couple of jade plants and a jasmine vine, as well as a couple clumps of irises, and a lemon tree and an avocado tree that drop lots of leaf litter for him to root around in. Just this year he has taken to eating bits of the fallen avocados, so there's another food source he gets. We also feed him some dog kibble that he seems to like. He's picky about inanimate food. He likes avocados as I said, he likes cantaloupe and watermelon (although not as much), and he likes cooked (roasted or boiled, I don't give him fried) chicken. He also tried to eat fresh dog poop once, but I stopped him. (Ew!) Anything that moves and he can catch is fair game. I try a few times a week to turn over stuff and find him slugs or earthworms that he really likes.

How long will he sleep?
                          He almost always digs himself into a leaf pile or grass pile by late October. It's a little hard to keep track of him when he's in this phase, because he stops coming out to see if I've got something for him. He spends two or three weeks trying out different places before he settles on one, but by the end of October, he has chosen and he's down until mid March of the next year. Once I'm sure he's settled in I will add more leaves or grass on top of his pile for insulation. Not a lot, just some. Once or twice during the winter, I'll add a little more because it tends to settle. Sometimes I add more if there's going to be a big storm.

Comment

• Oh my gosh! That’s so sweet! I laughed out loud!.....ha! That came out like Dr. Shaun Murphy “I laughed out loud” double Ha! Bless it to be mauled—I’m glad he’s recovering— pictures if u have them. Now I have a semi idea if turtle care [emoji1319]I would have loved to follow him on FB when he was talking... sounds like gr8 adventures. Thanks for sharing![emoji217][emoji217][emoji217]

Comment

• Liked to hear about Chuck, he's an interesting and I'm sure a very smart turtle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
                                Oh my gosh! That’s so sweet! I laughed out loud!.....ha! That came out like Dr. Shaun Murphy “I laughed out loud” double Ha! Bless it to be mauled—I’m glad he’s recovering— pictures if u have them. Now I have a semi idea if turtle care [emoji1319]I would have loved to follow him on FB when he was talking... sounds like gr8 adventures. Thanks for sharing![emoji217][emoji217][emoji217]
                                Here's a picture of Chuck hoping for a handout at the gate.
                                Chuck at the gate.jpg

His Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/chuck.turtlebefree

Comment

Working...
                                X