No announcement yet.

Currently Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much reading for me recently, been busy with other things.

I have re-read a few old ones off my shelf plus one from the library by JD Robb.

Amazingly I have never read her before despite her having written nearly 200 books (including those as Nora Roberts) over a 35 year period. I'm not sure whether or not I'll seek out any more. It was a good story (about 10 years old) but I struggled to understand some of it because of a lot of words/expressions/terms used. Do all New Yorkers speak a different language to the rest of us? Any comment

Comment

• Funny YB. I have never read her either-my sister & dad have. And liked her very much.
      We used to have a post in here that were of “phrases used locally”
      Example: I said yesterday that my hair looked like a stump full of granddaddies— some folks may not know what that means! Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Been reading a 10 book apocalyptic series called Bugging Out by a friend whose pen name is Noah Mann. Ten books might sound daunting, but they are on the short side, plus the chapters are generally pretty short, and he usually has a good hook at chapter's end to keep you turning the pages. If you like TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It) stories, you'd probably like this series. The books are short, the writing is good, and the characters believable. Sometimes -- SOMETIMES -- Noah gets carried away with his use of commas, but it's a relatively small quibble.
        sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
          Funny YB. I have never read her either-my sister & dad have. And liked her very much.
          We used to have a post in here that were of “phrases used locally”
          Example: I said yesterday that my hair looked like a stump full of granddaddies— some folks may not know what that means! Ha!

You are correct, Fours. I have no idea what that means. Please tell.

From the JD Robb book what is a 'link. The ' and lower case l are not mistakes, that is how it was printed in the book lots of times

Comment

• Currently Reading

Ok I had to do some digging since I don’t read Robb. But her character is set in the future & ‘link is a device used for communication/ video. So it’s strictly to that series ... a book term.
            Now for the stump full of granddaddies.... my hair was sticking up & out just all over the place I couldn’t do anything with it
            ==== old tree STUMP full of granddaddy long legs the SPIDERS. Just all over the place..... funny [emoji1]

Comment

• Thanks, Fours. I did not realise that the book was set in the future. That explains a few other things too. Although a lot of things were similar to the present.

My hair looks like a stump full of grandaddies most mornings!

Comment

• Ha - Ha ha! It’s a Southern thang!
                But yes what I read about Robb said “ not much was/has changed” .... to the futuristic plot.

Comment

• Nobody can predict what changes will have occurred in 50 years time, doubtful I'll be around to see them anyway. And i doubt there will be as few as in JD Robb's world.

Think of all the changes we have seen in the last 50 years, few of which, if any, were predicted way back in the late '60's.

As a teenager back then we were thinking of regular trips to the moon! Nobody mentioned Internet, Skype, E.Mails, mobile phones etc. And that is just what the were, telephones which did not need to be plugged into a wall socket. Nowadays is there anything you CAN'T do with a phone?

Comment

• I agree YB. I love my phone! guilty!

I'm reading Texas Ranger by James Patterson & ??? It's good so far. -easy read

Comment

• Originally posted by YB View Post
                      Thanks, Fours. I did not realise that the book was set in the future. That explains a few other things too. Although a lot of things were similar to the present.

My hair looks like a stump full of grandaddies most mornings!
                      Here in So Cal, we would've said a stump full of daddy longlegs. Guess our spiders (technically they're not even spiders) are younger.
                      sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

• Am reading a book called Perfect Silence, recommended by a thriller lover on another forum. It is really quite a gruesome police story and while I want to make sure the evil murderer gets his or her comeuppance it maybe is not a book to be read just at bedtime. Need a symbol for scared!

Comment

• Ah, daddy longlegs, we have those here in the north of England.

Comment

• Originally posted by momckee View Post
                            Need a symbol for scared!
                            This any good
                            I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

• thanks! funny

Comment

• Originally posted by Gismo View Post
                                This any good
                                Thanks Gis, will certainly use it.

Comment

Working...
                                X