Currently Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow Dan I’ll look that up!
    On the topic of maritime disasters today in 1945 the Port Chicago disaster.... my Great Uncle was there. He was a Raider Marine & was state side during that event.
    There was a JAG TV show about that years ago .... he was “the guy” on the stand trying to absolve Miller of his conviction.
    Horrible incident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I’m listening to JAWS off YT no music. I’ve never heard of the Hooper Mrs Brody thing.
      I was 8 June of 75 .... I’ve been hooked on sharks since! (pun)

Comment

• Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
        Wow Dan I’ll look that up!
        On the topic of maritime disasters today in 1945 the Port Chicago disaster.... my Great Uncle was there. He was a Raider Marine & was state side during that event.
        There was a JAG TV show about that years ago .... he was “the guy” on the stand trying to absolve Miller of his conviction.
        Horrible incident
        The Sultana was a side wheeler steamboat with a capacity of about 375 people. It was loaded with over 2,000 people, the vast majority being prisoners released from Andersonville, the Confederate prison, who were worse off than the POWs from the Nazi death camps. It was heading north to St. Louis on the flood stage Mississippi at full steam when all the boilers blew. Estimates are between 1200 to 1500 killed in the blast, drowned/died of hypothermia.
        sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

• I’ll look into it. Love history

Comment

• I'm reading a WWll story a young man who runs away from an orphanage at 15 to join the Merchant Navy just at the start of WWll - it also follows the life of his sister who looked after him in the orphanage and then kept an eye on him when he was adopted by a green grocer who was just using him as a slave and was cruel, the brother and sister arranged to run away at the same time, she gets a job as a Nanny and he joins the navy, and from there the saga continues. Had to stop reading as it was getting past bedtime.

Comment

• I hope that ends well. Sad stories are not my thing.

Comment

• I'm on a 1930's kick right now mostly tear jerkers about people who never had enough money in the depression years and how they coped and cope they did. It's amazing how people all made the most of whatever their circumstances were in England and into the start of WWll. I say England because the authors I've been reading live in England so no stories about what happened in Scotland so far.

Comment

• Seems sad. I'm listening to EYES of PREY.

Comment

• Just realized that I said there was not mention of what happened in Scotland and then it dawned on me that I lived during the war years in Scotland - I remember the day war broke out, I heard the newsboys shouting out that Poland had been invaded and I asked my Grandpa what it meant and he said that we were at war. We didn't suffer too much with food shortages as far as I can remember but then I was just a youngster and didn't pay a lot of attention although I know we never had any bananas although we had piles of packaged dates, seems like dates were plentiful whenever a convoy managed to get through and if Granny got an egg at the grocery store it was cooked up for Grandpa. We had to go down to the local school for shelter when the sirens went, it was about a five minute walk away and going down three flights of stairs with a glass skylight with chips of glass falling down when the guns went off wasn't unusual We lived in a tenement building on the top floor. Lots more I could write but then it's close to bed time and I'll put it off for another time if anyone is interested.

Comment

• I'd be interested, Mo. Unfortunately all my relatives who could have told me things have passed on. I only really became interested about 10-12 years ago, similarly with my family tree/history, by then it was too late. If no one else wants to hear your experiences you could PM me.

Comment

• Hello YB - I remember quite a bit and will pass it along. We lived not too far away from the docks and the shipbuilding which was a favourite target of the German bombers. We had a big barrage balloon we could see from our kitchen window, hopefully to snag a German plane. More later.

Comment

• Sudden Prey. again

Comment

• Mark Billingham - The killing habit. Latest in the Tom Thorne series, very good
                            Stuart Pawson - I re-read 5 of his old ones from my shelf. Brilliant, even second time around. These are set in a fictitious town in the north of England, quite near me. They contain a lot of Yorkshire humour and expressions which I think may go over the head of those from other areas.
                            Brian Freeman - Alter Ego. Latest in the Johnny Stride series, I like this series
                            Lee Child - Too much time. A Reacher short story on Kindle. Some of you may have already read this as I believe it was published earlier in the year as part of a collection of short stories. I didn't buy it because I had already read the others. I believe there is a new short story called the Christmas scorpion due out in October.
                            Faith Martin (as recommended by Mo, thank you) - Across the narrow blue line. Only one third of the way in but good so far. This is about half way through the Hillary Greene series, from 2009. The newest books feature characters Ryder and Loveday. Maybe it was one of those you read, Mo?

Comment

• Not sure that the names Ryder and Loveday are familiar, but with my memory being what it is who knows?

I'm still wending my way through the war years as it affected Liverpool, very interesting.

Comment

• re reading PRIVATE by James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X