Currently Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death Of Kings by Rennie Airth.

This is the fifth in the John Madden series. Mr Madden was a policeman in the south of England in the early books before retirement. He is now called upon to assist in some cases by former colleagues.

The first book was set around 1920, the latest has progressed to 1949. I don't always like books set in olden times but these are good.

Mr Airth is not a prolific writer, the first in the series was written in 1999, they then come along at around four year intervals. This may be the last as the author is 81 years old. Stark contrast to James Patterson for example who seems to have a new one out every few weeks

Comment

• Will have a look for the later books, don't like to go back too far.

Comment

• on 5th or is it 6th Mitch Rapp??????

Comment

• Speaking personally, when/if I discover an author new to me, however good and however much I enjoyed the book I find it better to read other authors in between. I find that if I read the same author/series one after another they can soon become "stale".

Only my opinion, it may work OK for others

Comment

• Originally posted by YB View Post
            Speaking personally, when/if I discover an author new to me, however good and however much I enjoyed the book I find it better to read other authors in between. I find that if I read the same author/series one after another they can soon become "stale".

Only my opinion, it may work OK for others
            Exactly how I read series of books
            I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

• I prefer to read through the series without "interruption". Helps me with character development as well as just remembering what the hell is going on (lol).

Currently reading the most recent Mitch Rapp book but by Kyle Mills who finished Vince Flynn's last book after he passed away. The new book, Order to Kill, is the first that Mills is taking from the beginning and i'm not liking his writing as much as i liked Flynn's.
              Last edited by Style; 07-02-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Currently Reading

Me too style but now I'll read these 11 or 12 books fast fast fast and then I'll be sad because I won't have anything to read till stuff starts coming out for the summer
                Can anyone tell me what happened to stan Hurley he was in the first two maybe three books but there's not a mention of him at all in the next 3 to 4 books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Not absolutely sure but I think he gets killed off, might even be by Mitch Rapp, however not really sure about that.

Comment

• Na Mo, Rapp doesn't kill Hurley. Hurley will return in later books and is last seen with a major role in The Survivor.

Comment

• As I said, we are all different.

Reading a series back to back works for 4AMTN & Style. Gis and myself prefer to intersperse with another author. Score 2-2 at the moment.

Anyone else care to comment?

Comment

• Just finished "Moon Over Edisto"...quick easy read.
                        On to "A Hard Death" by Jonathan Hayes.

Comment

• YB , ha! Funny! I feel as if I get to know the character better if I can read several in a row. Sometimes waiting over a year then reading people in-between - I'm like ??what was his purpose? who was that to him?? If it's new series. I read all of Evanovich's that way & loved Ranger. I read Jack Reacher that way too. Then, Lucas Davenport, Dirk Pitt, John Puller, the Crais books... & now I'm spoiled to wanting one book after the other.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry Meg, I didn't mean to skip your comment ....

Comment

• Reading: Blood on the Tracks- Barbara Nickless
                            On Deck: Fool Me Once- Harlan Coben
                            Anxiously Awaiting: Rusty Puppy- Joe R. Lansdale

Comment

• Finished 'A Hard Death' and 'Traces of Guilt'
                              Starting 'The Ringmaster's Wife' for book club

Comment

• Is nobody reading? It's nearly a week since anyone posted in this section.

I'm reading Cry Baby by David Jackson. New author to me, about half way through. 6-7 out of 10 so far

Comment

Working...
                                X