Currently Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
    No, I've never heard of her either. I usually stick to my 20 or so authors unless my sister recommends one or TBJ. Just started Chaos by Patricia Cornwell.
    In also tend to stick to the authors I know unless I find a free book.

In this case my son bought it. He went on a business trip to India in September, on arrival at the airport he found he had a four hour wait for the flight. To fill in the time he bought Girl on the Train and the Susie Steiner book was on offer with it, otherwise I doubt I would have bought it

Comment

• Haven't heard of her either. Always seems to be a lot of info about the detective & why they are (bitter, angry, just back from a horrible case, got their partner killed, or just generally anti authority...choose one) and that seems to take first place in the storytelling.

Comment

• Yep. I agree with both of you. If it's a series of books ok, but a lone book - too much info.

Comment

• Just finished 2 books by Teri Dulong...both take place in Cedar Key. A cute little island on the west coast of FL

Comment

• Finished 'Heading Home' by Renee Riva...really enjoyed this book.
            Just started 'A Man Called Ove' by Fredrick Backman which is for book club next month. Not very far into it yet, but have a few laughs. I've heard good things about this book.

Comment

• Finished Chaos by Patricia Cornwell. OK, I've got to say that her last several books haven't been as good. She is the QUEEN of reflection & description. Half of her book is that. Then less than half good stuff. What gets to me is she will end the book with just a page or two. if the book is 100 pages; she just solves it pages 98-100. WHY does she do this.

Reading Odessa Sea by Clive Cussler now.

Comment

• Am part way through the book Hillbilly Elegy by J. D. Vance, about the migration of some of the folks from Kentucky to the industrialized centres in Ohio. It's a fascination and detailed account of the 'hillbilly' people, their background (mostly Scots/Irish) their culture, tremendous family loyalty, physical fighting in families quite commonplace, and poverty. Thought it might give me an insight into the 'rust belt' unemployment and the tremendous following which Trump has in middle America white workers and how they deal with their situation. It's a really interesting book and I had trouble putting it down.

Comment

• Finished "A Man Called Ove"
                  I really enjoyed this book...charming, hilarious and touching!

Comment

• The Professor by Robert Bailey, love this kind of book, a legal thriller when it seems as though your case is going down the tubes and you are able to unravel the one lying witness.

Comment

• Okay, The Professor by Robert Bailey is going on my list!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brouwer View Post
                        Okay, The Professor by Robert Bailey is going on my list!

Comment

• Ways to die in Glasgow by Jay Stringer. This was a free kindle book fortunately, it wasn't brilliant. Too many rogue policemen, bent lawyers, dodgy private eyes, a bit difficult to follow.

I followed that up with Skinner's Festival by Quintin Jardine. A very old Bob Skinner mystery from around 1994. I have read a lot of his recent stuff and liked them. This also was good.

Next up is a Quintin Jardine short story, The Last Chickenpig. This is not a Skinner book. It is about the Blackstone family, Oz and Primavera although their son Tom is taking centre stage in this one

Comment

• Hi YB - have always enjoyed Quintin Jardine and think I'm probably up to date with his latest but I should check to make sure.

Comment

• Hi Mo

The latest Skinner book was Private Investigations - out around May 2016. There has since been another short story, Born to be Wild, which is a Blackstone one from around September.

I've read all the recent Skinner books but i've still a few to find of the early ones from the 90's

Comment

• Brouwer - this is what Amazon.ca says about The Professor:

Law professor Thomas Jackson McMurtrie literally wrote the book on evidence in the state of Alabama. But when a power-hungry colleague uses a recent run-in between McMurtrie and headstrong student Rick Drake to end his career, he is left unsure what to do next.

Meanwhile, a devastating trucking accident in Henshaw, Alabama, leaves a young family dead. Drake, now a fledgling lawyer, takes the case against the freight carrier and soon begins to uncover the truth behind the tragedy that is buried in a tangled web of arson, bribery, and greed. On the eve of the trial and with his case unraveling in the midst of a dangerous cover-up that threatens to silence his star witnesses, Drake realizes that only his estranged mentor, Professor McMurtrie, can help him now.

With everything to lose and only justice to gain, will McMurtrie and Drake overcome bad blood to defeat a ruthless adversary? Can the Professor turn back the clock and recover all that he’s lost? ........

I didn`t do a review as the one in Amazon covered it way better than what I could do.

Comment

Working...
                                X