Rugby League World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby League World Cup

This probably doesn't mean anything to most on here, although it's called "world" there are only 16 nations taking part. Four from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, several south sea islands plus France, Greece and Italy from Europe. The qualifying games have now finished and the quarter finals are about to start, tonight being the first. England play Saturday afternoon.

I like the game, attended my first match when I was 9 years old, and that is a looooong time ago

YB. we tried watching in last spring? last year?? we just looked at each other & say "whaaaa"

Comment

11 years ago or daughter came home from living 6 months in New Zealand and brought a rugby ball with her. She was a diehard All Blacks fan. That lasted a couple of years but being away from it has been hard on her enthusiasm. She's still a fan, but less so.
      sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

The Rugby League World Cup is not to be confused with the Rugby Union World Cup, often just known as the Rugby World Cup. There are two versions of the game of rugby, anyone not familiar with the game may think they are the same but when you get "into" it there are quite a lot of differences.

Rugby Union is probably the one best known as it takes place in many countries around the world whereas Rugby League takes place in England, Wales and France in Europe and Australia, New Zealand and various south sea islands in the southern hemisphere.

The one I am referring to is Rugby League which originated in 1895 in a town about 8 miles from where I live and for many years was only played in the north of England (plus the southern hemisphere)

Comment

Unfortunately England lost to Samoa in the semi-final today

Comment

Working...
          X