Excerpt from unfinished story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excerpt from unfinished story

Last Christmas or the one before, I was writing a story for the annual Reacher holiday story fest and never finished it. It was a real time 2nd person (rather than 1st or 3rd) narrative that didn't seem to be working. I recently resurrected it (still unfinished and made it a real time 1st person story. Here's a brief excerpt:

“You don’t want a place where there might be a lot of witnesses, but you need a place where you can get a cell phone signal. Too far out in the boonies won’t cut it, so...here we are. My guess is you’ve only been here thirty minutes or so. An hour tops. Still, the two guys hiding behind the gas station must be pretty damn cold by now.”

The guy actually smiles and calls out in Chinese. After a moment I hear the scuffle of feet behind me. More than two pairs of feet. More than two guys.

“Not bad, old man, except there were four guys behind the station.”

A glance behind me confirms his statement.

I allow myself a deep sigh. Here we go. Again.

One man.

How many times over the years? Is there some kind of sign on my back that reads, “Gang up on me”? Why does it always seem to come down to this? And I wonder: Does asking myself these questions mean the lifestyle is getting old? Is it time to hang it up, settle down? Are you indeed an “old man”, Reacher?

I roll my head on my neck, causing a couple of pops. Flex my shoulders.

Let’s find out.

=====

Maybe I'll finish this in time for Christmas this year.
    sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Go for it Dan, you can do it! Look forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by momckee View Post
      Go for it Dan, you can do it! Look forward to it.
      I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

Yes....please finish it! I'm intrigued.

Comment

Yes! Let's find out!

Comment

Yay! Don't leave us hanging, Dan!

Comment

Well, I still haven't finished that story, but here's a link to where you can read it up to the point I've gotten (yes, I'm Moedad on the fanfiction website). It's getting long. Part of me wants to finish it now (one more chapter), and part of me wants to go make it even longer and get some BIG action in.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13014870/1/One-Man

- - - Updated - - -

As long as I'm tooting my own horn, here's a link to a Forrest Gump story I recently wrote.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13075285/1/As-Stupid-Does

Comment

Will have a look tomorrow, am heading to bed now, but I will certainly catch up. Looking forward to reading it Dan.

Comment

Cheers Dan
                  I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

Where's the rest of the story about the man who stops to pick up a lame dog on the highway, I was wanting to make sure the dog was well looked after.

Comment

I need to read this! Sorry I haven't yet ....

Comment

Originally posted by momckee View Post
                        Where's the rest of the story about the man who stops to pick up a lame dog on the highway, I was wanting to make sure the dog was well looked after.
                        It's coming, it's coming.

Comment

Only read the first page .....already grinning several times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad to hear it Dan!

Comment

Okay, so I FINALLY decided what I want to do with this story so I can FINISH the darn thing. Couple of hints: it's going to have a guest star from another crime series I'm fond of, AND it's also going to have something on Reacher's dad, Stan, and his interaction with said guest star. Hopefully I'll wrap it up this weekend. This story has taken longer (and I don't know why) than any other story I've written except INTO THE YELLOWSTONE.

Comment

Working...
                              X