Make Me - SPOILER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
    I'm leaning towards Mo's thoughts … I haven't read on this book in 2 nights. the first night I was going thru it pretty fast & then … IDK.
    Really glad to know that 4A - was beginning to wonder if maybe I needed an attitude adjustment. It would be interesting to hear some other comments about what people liked or didn't care for. I started off thinking that I was really going to enjoy the book and by the time I got to 73% on the Kindle I was getting a kind of ho-hum feeling and wondering where it was all going. The Deep Web statistics finished it for me.

Comment

The Deep Web stuff was interesting to me. And the book ended up in a way I wasn't expecting. This was closer to some of the earlier Reacher stories than the more recent ones have been, at least IMO. It generated some good suspense.
      sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

oh, good to hear Dan. I like the Reacher that works alone - mostly. I'll give it another shot tonight, I stopped when they were on their way to AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by momckee View Post
          Will not be finishing this book, once it got into digging around in the Deep Web it was a turnoff for me.
          I don't understand the deep web and knew nothing about it but had to google it as I found it fascinating.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Dan M. View Post
          The Deep Web stuff was interesting to me. And the book ended up in a way I wasn't expecting. This was closer to some of the earlier Reacher stories than the more recent ones have been, at least IMO. It generated some good suspense.
          I usually get to about 3/4 through a book and wonder how on earth is this going to come together and work itself out. This didn't disappoint me. A non typical ending too, which was good.

Comment

This and I believe the last book about the "daughter", I didn't like either one. There was a book 3-4 back I didn't care for either. Maybe it's me. But just like Patricia Cornwell ... The books seem to lose focus of what MADE them great in the first place. I am concerned about Reacher's headaches….and now HE'S inviting a woman along??!! I thought back about half way thru that they were selling the people. I was kinda wrong. just weird.
            IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by 4AMNTN; 15-09-2015, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I agree with Dan and Fiona about the Deep Web. I was clueless, but found it very interesting when I googled it. I'm glad to know that it's out there. I hadn't realized. Would I want to visit it? No. There is enough "stuff" going on here on the surface to keep my mind occupied....I didn't see what they were actually doing with the people coming. Was I surprised? Yes. Is this the first time I'd read about the subject? No. Do I believe what Lee wrote about really happens; what the people thought they were getting and what they actually got? Yes, probably more than we know, in some way or the other - to the first and yes, occasionally, but not necessarily in that fashion - to the second.....I enjoyed the book. I do understand why it wouldn't be some readers' cup of tea, though.

Comment

I just finished the book!
                Slow paced,and I was not thrilled with it myself.
                As an old geek,I know about the deep web from way back,so that was kind of cool to see that part.
                I have read all the Reacher books,and I like the way Lee Child writes,but I always have a few issues mostly with his firearms knowledge...he gets it most of the way right,but hen makes some glaring errors.
                Just nit picking on my part.

I have to edit this post for my rant...look out...
                Finished the book,and went back and did my homework now.
                He writes about all the bad guys using Ruger P-85 pistols...with suppressors.
                That bothered me...the gun went out of production in 2011...big,clunky pistol,that would require quite a bit of custom work to function with a suppressor.. ,not to mention being very clumsy.
                No one would do this,and besides,the parts are no longer made.
                Sorry,Lee,you lost me there..you could have researched this in 3 seconds.
                I see the same thing with Stephen King,and being a nit-picker,I see that as sloppy work.
                Last edited by Mojo; 03-10-2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I enjoyed the book and didn't guess what was happening with the people. And had no knowledge of the deep web. Like Deanie said there's enough at the surface that I would never visit the deep web. Not sure how I feel about Reacher inviting Chang along with him. And the headaches...wonder if that's the way to bring about the end of Reacher?

Comment

Mojo, I agree. not Lee's best book. I guess I like the "flashback" books best.

Comment

When you get to the end and realize how evil these people were for exploiting their victims as they did, it's chilling. I wonder though, if Lee had let us in on the secret early on in the book, and showed just a glimpse of the terror these people must've felt as they realized what was going to happen to them; if he had used those scenes to show illustrate the inescapability of their situations, would this have been a more fulfilling read? Think back to Tripwire. We learned immediately how evil and scheming Hobie was, and how he always won. Lee told us all the way through exactly what the plan was and built up the suspense for the big showdown, bringing Hobie face-to-face with Reacher, who also always wins. Maybe Lee thought of that and didn't want to follow that pattern (which I loved) again.
                      sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Meg View Post
                        I enjoyed the book and didn't guess what was happening with the people. And had no knowledge of the deep web. Like Deanie said there's enough at the surface that I would never visit the deep web. Not sure how I feel about Reacher inviting Chang along with him. And the headaches...wonder if that's the way to bring about the end of Reacher?
                        The headaches? No,,Reacher will be fine!
                        He had some brain bruising,but should come out ok (I am speaking as a survivor of a Traumatic Brain Injury here),and Reacher is way tougher than me!

Comment

Does show that he's getting older though...

Comment

I dont think it shows Reacher getting older,and less competent.

BUT..there is still a wealth of "flashback" events that can be written

Comment

The reference to thinning hair shows that he's getting older.
                              I find that books after a while become too formulaic and occasionally mixing the formula up helps to keep my interest, so while this book won't appeal to some, it was enough for me.

Comment

Finally started on Make Me, will be able to add my opinions soon
                                I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

Working...
                                X