No announcement yet.

Currently Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems an absolute age since I posted on this section si quite a few to report on.

Celina Grace - Scimitar. I have previously read a few of these featuring a detective called Kate Redman. Good
    Simon McCleave - The Harlech Beach Killings. New author to me, OK
    Rebecca Bradley - Blood Stained. Another new to me author. Good
    Val McDermid - Christmas is Murder. A short story. Good
    Quintin Jardine - The Cage. Latest in the Bob Skinner series. Very good as usual
    Val McDermid - Past Lying. Very Good
    Peter James - Stop Them Dead. The latest in the Roy Grace series, set in Brighton on England's south coast. One of my favourite series, excellent as always
    Tim Sullivan - Thev Dentist. Good
    Richard Osman - the Last Devil To Die. Richard is a UK TV quiz presenter, This is the latest in the Thursday Murder Club Series. Good and humerous in parts
    Quentin Black - Lessons in Blood. The main character is a bit Reacher - ish. He gets into a skirmish with four bad guys and beats them easily. If there are eight bad guys his girlfriend sorts them out
    Quentin Jardine - Autographs in the Rain. An old Bob Skinner book that I must have missed first time around
    Duane Lindsey - The Grifter's Daughter. A bit differnent but good
    Stuart Field - A Friend of the Famil Not a bad story but two complaints. One is that this book is part one, wasn't aware until I had finished it. Second, I don't recall ever reading a book with so many mistakes in it. Spellings, wrong tense, wrong meanings. Whoever releases Kindle books don't seem to check them as well.

Comment

• Stella Cameron - Folly - OK

Next up was a series of five books by Mike Faricy. I first found this author a few years ago, his character Dev Haskell is a Private Detective. There are a lot in the series and are very good. Then around a couple of years ago he created a new character called Jack Dillon. Jack is a US policeman who is sent to Dublin, Ireland, to arrest a US citizen and return him to USA for trial. Things go wrong and the criminal is killed. I have forgotten the reason why but Jack remains in Dublin and is attached to the local police. This develops into a further four books and then a month ago I was offered five new ones in the series - FREE!
      So I've been reading those for a few weeks and find them excellent. Good murder mysteries with a sprinkling of humour.

I would recommend Mike Faricy to you all, either series are extremely good.

Comment

• WOW! So many books! My that's great! Thx for sharing - I'll need to check back more often - I haven't read in a long time. Last book was a really good one "Into the Yellowstone". - anyone here know of that

Comment

• Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
          WOW! So many books! My that's great! Thx for sharing - I'll need to check back more often - I haven't read in a long time. Last book was a really good one "Into the Yellowstone". - anyone here know of that
          That dude needs to write a sequel.
          sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan M. View Post

That dude needs to write a sequel.
            Been waiting for ages for it too
            I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

• Aline Templeton - Last Act of All. Couldn't get into it, abandoned after about 80 pages
              Pauline Rowson - Portsmouth Murders. Good without being outstanding
              Nick Roberts - Find the Girl. Good
              Belinda P Sheehan - A Wicked Mercy. I did finish it but came clodse to abandoning it a couple of times
              Oliver Davies - Unusual Remains. I read a few of his a couple of years ago and liked them but this one was hard going
              Carolyn Arnold - Taken Girls. Good sold stories from the author, read lots previously
              The above are all FREE on Kindle

Alex Gray - Out of Darkness. A Bill Lorimer police procedural, usually set in Glasgow but this one was mainly in Zimbabwe

My two latest ones wouldn't be of interest to anyone on here as they cover music in my town years ago.
              They are called Small Time Saturday Night, volumes one and two. They cover local venues and local singers/bands. They also talk about World Stars who came here, including Roy Orbison and Gene Vincent among others. Eddie Cochran was booked to appear (along with Gene Vincent) but he had sadly been killed in a car accdent the week before.

The books cover the period 1957-1970. For the first five years I wasn't old enough to be going into town to concerts but 1962 onwards I remember very well. Th
              The author is called Trevor Simpson and among other things he played football for the local team and went on to be a top level referee

Comment

Working...
              X