No announcement yet.

The Sentinel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler alert!!! [emoji599] [emoji599] got kinda boring last few chapters but HEY [emoji3166]The Sentinel... ok. yeah ... still only about 18? chapters in ... not sure how many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
      MEG! :WAVE: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!! :CLAP: (belated now I guess). Oh my the days are flying by .... I hope you have. WONDERFUL WEEK!
      Thank you! It was a good birthday!!

Comment

Stopped reading 1/2 way started another book ... I’ll get back to it & y’all.

Comment

That doesn't sound too promising, Fours. I usually read Reacher books faster than any others and I've definitely never broken off one part way through

Comment

Am now reading, it's ok but defo not the best
            I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

I'm on 90% ... hopefully I will finish tonight! I think one thing is the chapters are so long -

Comment

Finally finished last night.

Comment

I'm reading this now, probably finish at the weekend after which I will report my views. Surprised only a couple of people on here seem to have read it

Comment

Finished it now. After the reviews and write ups I was fearing the worst. I don't think any of the last 8-10 are as good as the first 8-10 but this was as good as any of the recent ones. I didn't really notice much or any real differences in writing style. Lets see what the next one is like when, presumably, Andrew will have written the whole thing

Comment

Glad to see you post abut it YB. I feel the same - as I've stated many times - a flashback book would be nice! - the old gang!

Comment

So I read The Sentinel last week and have a few comments.

First, I don't think the American editors who normally parse Lee's narrative to weed out British colloquialisms were as much on board for this book. There were a handful of words that I've never seen in a Reacher story. Example: recce. I took it to be reconnoiter but I don't know. There a few others but that one was repeated most often.

Second, good for Lee and Andrew for their prescience. The whole thing about the vulnerability of American elections to hacking was presumably written before all the hoopla surrounding the 2020 election results.

Third, there was a bit where Reacher beats up six guys and drags their limp bodies together to stack them in a pile. I'm sure it's a coincidence, but a very similar bit takes place in that last story (Watch Me) that took me so long to finish. Pretty sure the chapter with my bad guy stack was posted on the fanfiction website well before The Sentinel was published. I'm not saying they copied me, I'm saying I didn't copy them. That's all.

Fourth...I don't remember what fourth was. 🙂
                        sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

I didn't particularly notice the "British" bits in the book but over the years I have noticed Lee's many "American" bits. I never thought about it being an editor who changed things.

I don't think its a surprise now as Lee has lived in the US for many years but I did think it a little strange in the earlier books.

And you are correct, Dan. Recce is short for reconnoiter.

There are lots of expressions used (not only in Reacher books but in any written by US authors) that I don't actually know the meaning of but I can guess well enough to follow the story. There must be 100's of variations between UK English and US English

Comment

My all time whaaa??? is SLEWED ... I've never seen it used in any other books - and the "5 will get you 10" we just don't say as often here and of course - That's for Damn ... Reacher=isms.

Comment

SO ... October 26th? wonder why they're not released on the 29th of each October?

Comment

What's Oct. 26th?
                                sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

Working...
                                X