Favourite Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Songs

Not sure if there will be much response to this but we'll give it a go.

Imagine you are washed up on a desert island, alone. Food and drink is plentiful and you have with you your trusty portable CD player with enough batteries to last a long time.

What would be your ten favourite songs/tunes to have with you?

I'll start with five of mine and if it takes off I'll add another five early next week.

In no particular order
    Rinky Dink - the Johnny Howard Band. This was originally performed by Dave 'Baby' Cortez in around 1962. There was also a version by Booker T and the MG's. This is the only instrumental on my list

Blowin in the Wind - Bob Dylan. There are several Dylan songs I could have picked but I really like this one. It wasn't a hit single (or at least it wasn't in the UK) but featured on his classic 1963 album Freewheelin' The song featured at number 14 in Rolling Stone magazine's 500 greatest songs of all time

You better move on - Rolling Stones. The original of this was performed by the composer Arthur Alexander in 1962. The Stones version was '64 and there were others around the same time by The Hollies and Bobby Vee

And the Band Played Waltzin' Matilda - Dubliners. This originated in 1971 by the writer Eric Bogle and there was also a version by The Pogues.

I Believe in You - Don Williams. This is from 1980

John Denver -Take Me Home, Country Roads - and many more of his songs
    Perry Como - And I Love Her So - loved Perry Como's voice
    Ronnie Ronalde, Webster Booth, 1951 - I Leave My Heart in an English Garden
    Vera Lynn, Linda Ronstadt, Nat King Cole -When I Grow Too Old to Dream
    Pete Seeger - Where Have All the Flowers Gone - back in the 60's

Great idea for a category YB - most of the songs I like are very much pre-hard rock and mostly ballads
    Last edited by momckee; 22-02-2019, 05:50 AM.

Comment

OK:
      Green Sleeves
      Girl - The Beatles
      Stoned in Love - Journey
      39 - Queen
      Nights in White Satin - The Moody Blues
      503 - Bell & Zimmer "Angels & Demons" Soundtrack
      Going Home - Mary Fahl

****then there's ALL the rock songs I love .... thanks! THAT WAS fun.

Comment

Will think up some more, too tired at this time of night to put my thinking cap on.

Comment

My favorite Christmas songs are : Greensleeves -
          When my Heart finds Christmas (Harry Connick Jr.)
          Sleigh Bells
          Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (Brenda Lee)
          TSO's Winter Wonderland.

I'm still working on shortening my "head banging" list ... it's a LONG one - ha! I grew up (8-20) '74-'86. which was a lot of music lot of bands.

Comment

I like some religious ones, Amazing Grace, in all it's forms even with bagpipes

Many of my mother's favourites were Abide With Me, There is a Green Hill Far Away, The Day Thou Gavest, she wanted this one at her funeral and I was to sing it, would never have been able to sing at her funeral.

I love the sound of the Kings College Choir program with the 9 lessons and carols

Land of Hope and Glory gets me stirred up

I like a lot of orchestral music - the Last Night of the Proms from the Albert Hall in London is fun to watch and listen to, I could ramble on - Handel's Messiah Hallellujah Chorus is a favourite - these are not maintstream music selections, just some rambling before I go to bed - will think of some pop songs at some point.

Comment

My parents were very much into classical music, tunes rather than songs. I first became aware of "pop" music when I was about 8/9. I've heard it said that the music which makes the most impression on a person is what they hear when they are in their teens/20's. With one exception this is true of my top ten. So adding to my earlier five, again in no particular order

Sweet Little Sixteen - Chuck Berry. I wasn't even a teenager when this first appeared in 1958 but have heard it many times since and indeed still listen to it sometimes

The Ballad of John & Yoko - Beatles. Late 60's just before the boys went their separate ways.

It's a Heartache - Bonnie Tyler. Late 70's. Lots of people have recorded this song including Juice Newton but I like Ms Tyler's version best

Maggie May - Rod Stewart. Voice like a rasp and hair that needs a good comb but I like a lot of Rod's stuff, as does Mrs YB

Losing my Religion - REM. The most modern of my selection, early 90's. I was around this time that my interest in the latest music waned somewhat. There is very little after that time that I remember.

Thanks to Mo and Fours for joining in. Anyone else?

Comment

Favourite Songs

YB the first memory of music was my parent’s Rubber Soul album (I still have it) then Eat a Peach???? The songs Crimson & Clover, Hair & Lean on Me stand out. Oh & my mom would listen to Tom Jones & clean the house. You Got a Brand New King. Clean up Woman....
                The first historical thing I remember was musical too. I remember seeing Jim Morrison being arrested—which was probably footage from when he died or recent anniversaries of his death. Some war footage that I thought-at the time was OLD - but now I know it was Vietnam. I DO NOT remember the moon landing. I do remember being at home and the first crawler or tickertape ?? across the television ( or maybe just an announcement) was notifying us that Elvis had died which was what 1977????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by 4AMNTN; 02-03-2019, 11:38 PM.

Comment

The Impossible Dream - by many
                  I've Gotta Be Me - Sammy Davis Jr.
                  Streets of Philadelphia - Bruce Springsteen
                  Secret Garden - Bruce Springsteen
                  Rosalita - Bruce Springsteen

Comment

I suspect you are a Bruce Springsteen fan, Style

That's what happens when you read a lot of detective books, you can work things out

Comment

Hey Style[emoji1309]

Comment

Good investigating YB.

I don't know many of the pop songs by name, usually only hear some of them when I'm on hold on the phone!

However, I do like The Impossible Dream, Style

Sometimes if I have to wait on hold on the phone and the same tune keeps repeating I find it goes around in my head for the rest of the day!

Comment

I’ve made a list of groups I like— & had to do country too because we listen to that now. Oldies== rock & country[emoji2372]
                          KISS - The Beatles - Van Halen - AC/DC - Ozzy - Queen - Journey
                          Jason Alden, Travis Tritt, Luke Bryan, Mark Chestnut, Luke Combs, (JamieJohnson/ChrisStapleton) Conway Twitty.
                          And I just [emoji175] Dean Martin

Comment

I like most of the old romantic songs sung by Sinatra, Como, Crosby, Nat King Cole - the song What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong? Dont like frantic music where the singer is just about eating the microphone, I like some Country and Western, and much, much more - no hard rock or metallica stuff.

Comment

Mo! It's a Wonderful World is Kevin favorite song.

Comment

Working...
                              X