Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Physical Contact Between Neagley and Reacher (possible SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Contact Between Neagley and Reacher (possible SPOILERS)

Okay, this is prompted by a tangential discussion about Reacher and Neagley having physical contact in a poll on the Reacher Creatures Facebook page.

In WITHOUT FAIL, I would've sworn there is a moment where Neagley sits down next to Reacher and briefly takes one of his hands in hers to console him over the death of M. E. Froelich. Stayed up late last night skimming through the book trying to find it. Found the scene at the end where she spontaneously hugs him, but couldn't find the hand holding. Am I remembering a different book? I don't think I am, but now I don't know. It didn't help that I was very sleepy.

Also in BAD LUCK AND TROUBLE, there are a few times where the special investigators (including Neagley) bump fists, and one specific time where Reacher and Neagley bump fists.

Can any of you remember Reacher and Neagley having physical contact?
    sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Yes. Dan I remember something along that line too. Tho I thought JACK was pointing out (written) that Neagley didn't like the contact ... I'll look for it today.

Comment

Found the reference where Neagley touches Reacher in WITHOUT FAIL. Page 356 in the hard cover. It's right before the big showdown. It's actually a solid half page of a paragraph, but I'll just excerpt a bit of it:

She pressed her palm into his. Laced her fingers through his fingers and squeezed. He squeezed back.

He held her hand for five long minutes. Then she slowly pulled it away. Stood up and stepped to the door. Smiled.

"See you in the morning," she said.

Then there's this gem on the last page of WITHOUT FAIL:

Reacher and Neagley said their goodbyes at the Denver Airport late the next morning, Monday. Reacher signed over his fee check to her and she bought him a first-class ticket on United to New York La Guardia. He walked her to the gate for her Chicago flight. People were already boarding. She didn't say anything. Just placed her bag on the floor and stood still directly in front of him. Then she stretched up and hugged him, fast, like she didn't really know how to do it. She let go after a second and picked up her bag and walked down the jetway. Didn't look back.

Comment

Thanks Dan ... is that all? Nothing in the hotel room in Bad Luck & Trouble? I thought ... maybe Reacher was "thinking" about WHY Neagley is the way she is .... SOMETHING ...it'll bug me. Thanks for looking into that. I totally forgot yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the movie I ALWAYS wanted to be made. Bad Luck & Trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
          Thanks Dan ... is that all? Nothing in the hotel room in Bad Luck & Trouble? I thought ... maybe Reacher was "thinking" about WHY Neagley is the way she is .... SOMETHING ...it'll bug me. Thanks for looking into that. I totally forgot yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the movie I ALWAYS wanted to be made. Bad Luck & Trouble.
          In BL&T, Neagley asks him if he was sleeping with Karla Dixon, and he asks "When?" because he's stalling for time, then he admits it: "But only two times." And Neagley says she's glad because they always wanted to, then it pretty much gets dropped. To me, though, that little exchange raises a whole bunch of questions, like why is Neagley wondering about it, why Reacher stalls at first then says "only two", like he's feeling guilty or something. Maybe because he's the CO and he's fraternizing? Or maybe because he's afraid it will affect his relationship with Neagley? I don't know. Stuff like this is what makes their relationship so compelling, and why Neagley gets my vote for Reacher's favorite girl.

The whole holding hands thing in WITHOUT FAIL almost reads like a sex scene. I only copied a bit of it above. It's very sensual, IMO. It's not just holding hands. Maybe it was like sex for Neagley.
          Last edited by Dan M.; 08-08-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Physical Contact Between Neagley and Reacher (possible SPOILERS)

YES! Dan I agree. I re-read some of BL&T yesterday & I found that she wanted to know about Dixon .. if he ever slept with her & he said No I was her Superior it wouldn't have been right. Then she says but you've thought about it ... he says yeah. - something like that - This was early in the book when Neagley & Reacher were trying to reach the old squad. She also asks if he thought Dixon was prettier than her. So yeah, I wonder if something's there in HER mind. I'd like to see a flashback with some MORE of that line.
            Last edited by 4AMNTN; 09-08-2018, 04:05 PM.

Comment

You two must have plenty of time on your hands

Comment

Originally posted by YB View Post
                You two must have plenty of time on your hands
                It's too hot to do anything else!

Comment

Yep. I ran thru it on my Kindle. Prolly took 15 minutes. I paused the tv program to really get into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X