Not a rant, just sharing worrying news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a rant, just sharing worrying news

Our daughter, Sheila, had a seizure at work yesterday, banged her head and needed stitches, our phone was off the hook and I didn't realize there was a problem until I realized the phone had messages on it, the message was from a paramedic taking Sheila to the hospital in the ambulance. What a shock, phone was low in battery so had trouble getting an outside line until I used the land line phone in the kitchen. We arrived at the hospital about 8 pm and some of her work buddies were there keeping her company also her boss, which was really great of them. She had a CT scan and blood tests all fine. She hasn't had a seizure in 20 years and we think that maybe having to have her 18 year old Westie to be euthanized really upset her although she kept saying she was fine and as he wasn't well and wasn't eating she thought it was time for him to go. I thought how brave she was as I was in bits about it. I guess she pushed it all to the back of her mind but it didn't stay there. Anyway she's at home and sleeping. The attending doctor phoned to tell her to up her dilantin pills to three a night because her test came back as low. Now it will be back to being tested by the neurologist. She is not able to drive and it will be up to the doctor as to when she can drive again. We have relied on her to do our running around for us so now we have to figure out how to help ourselves more instead of relying on Sheila. It's good that Dave can still drive so he'll be needing to drive her to work when she is able to return. We were figuring out how best Dave and I can tackle the grocery shopping as neither of us is too mobile. I'm o.k. with my walker and I guess I can get a fair bit of the groceries in the front basket. Always some wrinkle when you're not expecting it. Anyway, we are glad that she is going to be alright once the pain of the headache goes where she banged her head. She must be feeling a bit better as she was a wee bit cranky when I peeked in at her before heading up stairs to bed reminding her not to forget to take her pills so it's good to see her energy returning.

A wee bit cranky - well I guess. So sorry to hear all of that Mo. ALL of it. The dog, her seizure, but the most is y'all having to plan for errands. The thought makes me sad. It's a upset in your routine - MAJOR. I hope she doesn't work too far... can a co worker drive her? several them & switch out days??? And your errands - is there service, friends, friend's KIDS? Again, could a co worker drive your daughter with YOUR list to do this when she's feeling better?
    very concerned ...

Comment

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Mo. Hope things are back to normal as soon as possible

Comment

So sorry about your daughter, Mo. Hope she'll soon be on the mend. I also hope y'all can figure out ways to get everything taken care of that needs to be done.

Comment

Thanks for all the good wishes, Sheila is much better but still a bit dizzy and has a colourful shiner in her left eye and stitches going up into her hairline. She's determined to get back to work as they are really short staffed and it's a family business so they rely heavily on the staff they have.

We did the grocery shopping today, me with my walker and Dave driving around in the motorized cart courtesy of the store. We could have the groceries delivered if I was clever enough to figure out their system. Haven't a clue what their different aisles contain and today was quite an adventure, Fortunately I could sit down when my back gave out. Keeping track of where Dave was when he was tooling around in his electric buggy with the list was a challenge.

Dave can still drive but getting in and out of the car is the main problem and if he gives up his licence rather than taking the upcoming test it will be taxi service we'll rely on or the Dart bus for the old and frail! ��

Sheila has been our legs for a couple of years now so we have to devise ways to help ourselves. A good challenge for us.

Comment

Mo - Sorry to hear about your daughter. Hope gets well and you guys can meet the challenges.

Comment

It's really hard adjusting to new routines and schedules. You have a wonderful attitude about the situation, Mo. Hopefully this will be temporary and brief and Sheila will be quickly back to normal and your lives can carry on. Best wishes and prayers moving forward.
              sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

Mo... I'm not real sure where you live up there but our Wal-Mart's here will take a list & get it together for you to pick up. Our Publix I thinks does too, maybe Kroger? Could that be something you might look into?

Comment

Our stores in the UK do that, or they will deliver for a charge.

The problem is the 'pickers' don't necessarily choose the best. If its loose goods such as apples they just pick the first they come to which may include some battered and bruised whereas you would discard those and look further into the box. Also they do not take into account special offers, you may have ordered a one pound (weight) packet of XXX but choosing yourself you may find a packet twice as big for only one and a half times the price so you would miss the bargains. In Mo's case as a temporary measure it may be the best way but there are a lot of able bodied people who choose that route maybe spending up to 50% more on a big shop than they need to

Comment

Thanks to all for the good wishes and suggestions. I did try to get on a grocery shopping list but it was getting complicated, so much information wanted and then I had to identify what I wanted from the aisles, like I know which aisle has what item? Every time you go they change stuff around. Anyway, Dave and I went on an outing, he used the electric cart provided by the store while I walked around with my walker and loaded stuff onto it I could remember from the list I made, which, naturally, was wheeling around the store in the electric cart. We managed not too badly but had a whopper of a bill when we came to the checkout but I have enough in the freezer for dinners for Dave for the week, chicken Kiev today, and I can still taste it! Maybe a bit too much fatty stuff in the stuffing.

Sheila went back to work yesterday and managed fine, Dave drove her there and picked her up at night, she was at the doctor's today and has a follow up with a unit at the hospital tomorrow and then probably will have to see the doctors attached to the motor vehicles branch.

Unfortunately, there are some other problems relating to what Dave can and cannot remember, we get coffee and bagels from McDonalds usually each morning, we like the taste of the coffee, and I printed it out quite clearly what we wanted so Dave could go through the drivethrough but what was on the list wasn't what came back and he insists he read it carefully to them, so I suspect his eyesight is not responding too well although he reads the papers. His personality is a bit different from the quiet man I married- he has become quite argumentative (and that's usually my job!) but not all the time, so it's almost like living with someone you used to know - not all the time but it gets me down at times. Pardon me whining so I'll stop now.

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes. Sheila is well on her way to being her usual lively self, thank goodness. And I'll go and watch the tennis from London and that should keep me quiet for a while.

Comment

Mo so sorry to hear all of this. I just didn't think about you not knowing the store layout. I guess because I go 1-2 times a week. I wonder if the store has a layout on the internet? OR if you have a smart phone you cold take a picture of what you need, size amount? that's a lot too though? Funny I tell Kevin ok... 3rd iles over looking towards the back shoulder high on the left almost to the end. Then I send him picture.ha-ha.

Your husband sounds a lot like my dad. He's snappy, confrontational, short ... interrupts so he can talk (because he says he'll forget if he doesn't). this just in the last 4 years or so??? He's 75. And I blame the LYRICA. I hate that he takes it. My mom just goes about doing whatever & we see it. He doesn't of course. I'm 51 & I finally said something back to him last year & it still bothers me. BUT ... it's NOT right - & it's NOT how we want to remember him.
                      sad... I wish you luck & patients. I don't think he means it - just lives totally "in that moment". meaning my dad OR your hubby.....

Comment

Thanks 4A - Dave is 87 and life isn't as easy for him as it used to be, so between the two of us we're a couple of old crocks but thankfully we have peaceful days when we're both doing o.k. Sheila is a lot better but gets tired easily, but she went over to the grocery store with her Dad today and between them they picked up the weekly groceries (I had a smile because she and her Dad get going when he gets pernickety) but it was fine. She has gone down for a rest - she has to go to a walk-in clinic to get her stitches out, the Emergency Dept. doc said just to go to a walk-in clinic when it's time for them to come out - had to look up the Internet to see when the time for them to come out was! Seemed a wee bit offhand. The nurse across the street would have done it but she's not too well and didn't want to attempt it.

Comment

Oh yeah once you’ve taken sutures out it’s like riding a bike. 7-10 days
                          Good I’m glad to hear she’s better. Getting better. And she can take the reigns when the two of u need it! [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, each day she seems a bit more energetic. Has an appointment with a neurologist in September to check up on the brain waves, strange ailment is epilepsy, so maybe no more seizures for another 20 years and maybe none at all. Let's hope so.

Comment

OK. Have had enough of this BS by the CBFord & the committee ...... I do not believe her accounts.... ACCOUNT of the events. If it were anyone else YOU KNOW someone would say "well if she'd lie about flying she'd lie about what else?????" No corroborating evidence. NONE! TOO many holes, please. He said SHE said....practice WHAT you preach ... (she's a psychologist --- but NOT legally licensed in CA!!!!!) didn't convince me... a "baby talker" one minute & arrogant the next. 35 years?
                              IMO, & it's just that. my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X