PDA

View Full Version : Excerpt from unfinished story

Dan M.
03-06-2016, 12:00 AM
Last Christmas or the one before, I was writing a story for the annual Reacher holiday story fest and never finished it. It was a real time 2nd person (rather than 1st or 3rd) narrative that didn't seem to be working. I recently resurrected it (still unfinished and made it a real time 1st person story. Here's a brief excerpt:

“You don’t want a place where there might be a lot of witnesses, but you need a place where you can get a cell phone signal. Too far out in the boonies won’t cut it, so...here we are. My guess is you’ve only been here thirty minutes or so. An hour tops. Still, the two guys hiding behind the gas station must be pretty damn cold by now.”

The guy actually smiles and calls out in Chinese. After a moment I hear the scuffle of feet behind me. More than two pairs of feet. More than two guys.

“Not bad, old man, except there were four guys behind the station.”

A glance behind me confirms his statement.

I allow myself a deep sigh. Here we go. Again.

One man.

How many times over the years? Is there some kind of sign on my back that reads, “Gang up on me”? Why does it always seem to come down to this? And I wonder: Does asking myself these questions mean the lifestyle is getting old? Is it time to hang it up, settle down? Are you indeed an “old man”, Reacher?

I roll my head on my neck, causing a couple of pops. Flex my shoulders.

Let’s find out.

=====

Maybe I'll finish this in time for Christmas this year.

momckee
03-06-2016, 03:57 AM
Go for it Dan, you can do it! Look forward to it. :thumbsup:

Gismo
03-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Go for it Dan, you can do it! Look forward to it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Meg
03-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Yes....please finish it! I'm intrigued.

4AMNTN
03-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Yes! Let's find out!

Katie
06-06-2016, 12:01 AM
Yay! Don't leave us hanging, Dan! :thumbsup:

Dan M.
06-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Well, I still haven't finished that story, but here's a link to where you can read it up to the point I've gotten (yes, I'm Moedad on the fanfiction website). It's getting long. Part of me wants to finish it now (one more chapter), and part of me wants to go make it even longer and get some BIG action in.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13014870/1/One-Man

- - - Updated - - -

As long as I'm tooting my own horn, here's a link to a Forrest Gump story I recently wrote.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13075285/1/As-Stupid-Does

momckee
10-12-2018, 03:40 AM
Will have a look tomorrow, am heading to bed now, but I will certainly catch up. Looking forward to reading it Dan.

Gismo
11-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Cheers Dan :thumbsup:

momckee
12-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Where's the rest of the story about the man who stops to pick up a lame dog on the highway, I was wanting to make sure the dog was well looked after. :)

4AMNTN
12-12-2018, 04:08 PM
I need to read this! Sorry I haven't yet ....

Dan M.
12-12-2018, 09:13 PM
Where's the rest of the story about the man who stops to pick up a lame dog on the highway, I was wanting to make sure the dog was well looked after. :)

It's coming, it's coming.

4AMNTN
13-12-2018, 01:04 AM
Only read the first page .....already grinning several times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

momckee
14-12-2018, 06:59 AM
Glad to hear it Dan!

Dan M.
12-09-2019, 07:46 PM
Okay, so I FINALLY decided what I want to do with this story so I can FINISH the darn thing. Couple of hints: it's going to have a guest star from another crime series I'm fond of, AND it's also going to have something on Reacher's dad, Stan, and his interaction with said guest star. Hopefully I'll wrap it up this weekend. This story has taken longer (and I don't know why) than any other story I've written except INTO THE YELLOWSTONE.

Deanie
14-09-2019, 12:14 AM
Looking forward to the finish, Dan. Good story thus far.

momckee
20-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Me too Dan!

Dan M.
22-11-2019, 02:13 AM
Well, I still haven't finished that story, but here's a link to where you can read it up to the point I've gotten (yes, I'm Moedad on the fanfiction website). It's getting long. Part of me wants to finish it now (one more chapter), and part of me wants to go make it even longer and get some BIG action in.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, Mo, I added a couple more chapters and you get a better sense of what is happening with the dog. This story is inching its way toward completion. The guest stars name has been mentioned. I have a big block of text that is written but I have to fill in some in-between stuff before I post it. Stan Reacher is a significant character in the unposted stuff.

momckee
01-12-2019, 05:11 PM
����

Dan M.
02-12-2019, 09:35 PM
����

Haha! This is my fault for taking so stinking long to finish this story. If you read back a little in this thread, you'll find a post from you asking about what happened to the story about the man who picked up the stray dog on the road. That's the story in the link I posted. although the title has been changed to "Watch Me." It's still not done, but with the chapters I've added, you can see that the dog is going to be okay. I know exactly how I want this story to end now, but it keeps getting longer, so even though the end is in sight, it's still taking me a while to get to it. It's going to be a tough job, writing-wise, because this is going to be a crossover story, with two well-known characters, Reacher and Walt Longmire (three characters if you count Vic Moretti) but I'm kind of excited (and apprehensive because I have to try and get into Walt's head and his perspective on life, and I have to tone down Vic's "native vulgarity" at the same time) to see how it works out.

Dan M.
04-03-2020, 07:09 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I can't believe I started this "short" story 4 or 5 years ago and it's still unfinished. It's up to 13 chapters now. It just doesn't do what I think it's going to do. It goes off in new directions. Anyways, if you were once interested in it, there's more to read now. I've added 4 new chapters that have brought in a crossover character. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to have Walt Longmire (and Vic) encounter Jack Reacher, you might find it interesting. Reacher's dad, Stan, has a good chunk of the story. Also, there's a very brief appearance by Frances Neagley as well. Something for everybody, or too much going on? :idunno:

Deanie
05-03-2020, 08:02 PM
Not too much going on. Eager for you to finish the story. It's really good, Dan.

Dan M.
05-03-2020, 08:53 PM
Not too much going on. Eager for you to finish the story. It's really good, Dan.

Thanks, Deanie. I hope to finish it before I retire.

Dan M.
30-06-2020, 12:53 AM
Added Chapter 14. I think I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

momckee
08-07-2020, 01:57 PM
Always good to have a project on hand n case of finding yourself with nothng to do.��

Dan M.
27-03-2021, 10:34 AM
2:34 am - I FINALLY :eek::clap: finished this story. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13014870/1/Watch-Me

Gismo
29-03-2021, 09:00 AM
2:34 am - I FINALLY :eek::clap: finished this story. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13014870/1/Watch-Me

Well done :clap:

Dan M.
30-03-2021, 04:16 PM
Well done :clap:

Thanks, Giz. I'm kind of embarassed it took so long. I had no intention of it turning into a novella.

Deanie
30-03-2021, 05:09 PM
I know I posted after I finished reading the story but it isn't here. Maybe I posted in another thread. Good Grief! Anyway, Dan, I thoroughly enjoyed your 'novella.' I thought it was really good.

Dan M.
30-03-2021, 07:37 PM
Thank you, Deanie. This was a fun exercise, but it's hard trying to write in two different character worlds. It's really hard trying to tone down Vic's profanity, ha!

Deanie
31-03-2021, 04:37 PM
I imagine it was difficult to rein Vic in. She is known to get a bit 'crusty' with her word choices.

Dan M.
07-06-2021, 09:20 AM
So last Friday night, I sent Craig Johnson a link to this story. And what do you know...early Saturday morning he wrote back. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi Craig, long time fan here. I've been kicking this idea around since watching the recent interview with you and several other authors including Lee Child on How To Write A Mystery. No, I'm not asking you to write my idea for a Longmire story. Maybe almost as annoying though. Seeing the interview cemented the thought to go through with this. A while back I wrote a story about what would it look like to have Walt and Jack Reacher meet up. It was meant to be a short story, but kind of took on a life of its own and ended up being more of a novella. The first nine chapters are Reacher, the rest including the epilogue is Walt. I'm sending you a link. I know, annoying. It's not like you don't have anything to do. Anyway, it's on a fan fiction website. Whether you read it, or answer this message or not, we're good. I'm still going to be a fan looking forward to Daughter of The Morning Star. Have a great weekend. (link to story)

CJ: Hi Dan, thanks for the offer and I'm intrigued but I try not to read other people writing about my characters in that it becomes confusing for me? Hope you'll understand. ��

Then Saturday night I wrote back to him and the next morning he answered again.

Me: Hey, thanks for the response. I do get it, and I expected that might be the case. Just know I had fun writing the story. Thank you for indulging me even this much!

CJ: You bet!

I'm tickled that he wrote back, but I wish he'd a least peak at it. Not sure what I'd expect him to say, if anything. "Hey, you didn't have Vic dropping F-bombs. That's not Vic."

Deanie
07-06-2021, 09:26 PM
He "trys" not to read other peoples writing about his characters....I'd bet he peaked. :-) And if he did I'd bet he thought/said "that's pretty darn good!"

Dan M.
08-06-2021, 01:57 AM
Thanks, Deanie. I was surprised, not only that he wrote back at all, but that he wrote back as quickly as he did. If I ever get to talk to him in person again, maybe I'll be able to remind him and see if he did "peak".

Deanie
08-06-2021, 05:39 PM
I think peaked should have been spelled peeked. Nevertheless, I bet he did........