PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of speech?

4AMNTN
04-08-2015, 09:26 PM
:mad:Has anyone read anything about Louis Farrakhan's speech in a church in Miami, FL (last week)? OMG! Well, uh, hunt down those that kill blacks & KILL THEM, uh Mr. F, uh, do you understand what you're saying? Do you read facts & history?:mad:

Meg
04-08-2015, 10:18 PM
Pretty sure that could possibly be considered a hate and/or terroristic threat if people then go out and do that...he's inciting violence. And I question the 'church' that allows that.

4AMNTN
13-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Again just pointing out a fact : the KKK can have a rally, pass out information & the country looses its sh*+ but the Black Panthers can walk around with loaded guns yelling to kill & no one cares?
What a PC & mucked up situation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4AMNTN
02-09-2015, 10:10 PM
This is freedom of speech : boo Obama! Shame on u. Iran Nuke Deal[emoji35][emoji33][emoji15]

4AMNTN
24-09-2015, 08:53 PM
What the … ??? South Park's Donald Trump skit. What is this world coming to, jeez!

Meg
25-09-2015, 07:57 PM
I guess I miss everything...what happened with South Park?

momckee
26-09-2015, 04:41 AM
I'm kind of curious too, haven't ever watched South Park.

Fiona
27-09-2015, 12:35 AM
I haven't seen it either, but I'd like to.

4AMNTN
27-09-2015, 12:52 AM
Don't it's childish stupid & at times vulgar! Ok on occasion it might be funny.

Fiona
27-09-2015, 05:30 AM
Definitely a must see now. I have never been into him at all :)

4AMNTN
27-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Fiona go to YouTube & type in South Park Uncle Fu*ker [emoji23] but type in the actual word

Meg
28-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Don't it's childish stupid & at times vulgar! Ok on occasion it might be funny.

Childish, stupid, vulgar...all good ways to describe South Park. The gag about killing Kenny got old REAL fast for me. I don't think I've sat through an entire episode...but I'm not a 14 year old boy

4AMNTN
29-09-2015, 01:42 AM
How true!

4AMNTN
06-08-2016, 01:01 AM
Somebody please stop this "squeaky wheel getting the oil" thing we have in America! Good LORD when will give u everything & u have every opportunity be enough!!!!!!

4AMNTN
22-09-2016, 05:08 PM
WHEN is this rioting OK in America? WHY is it the norm these days? WHAT do they accomplish? It is sickening to watch!

Deanie
22-09-2016, 08:25 PM
I haven't seen any signs that rioting has accomplished anything. When it turns ugly it causes senseless acts of destruction and theft of property. Those who do that are out for themselves; to steal and destroy....Or like the black man, last night, who shot into the crowd and either killed or wounded another black man. Really helped the cause there. Not.

I can understand being frustrated. There have been a rash of police shootings/killings recently. Some of them seemed flat unjustifiable and others that could have been handled in a different way.

To start, those planning to have a career in law enforcement need to be tested more thoroughly and trained much better for all kinds of situations.

"Suspects" who are stopped by the police and given commands ~ Need. To. Listen. And Obey. Simple, right? Nothing hard about it. Listen. Do. But some won't. Refusing and defying gets them in a world of hurt. Then when it goes bad they or their relatives say it's all the policeman's fault.

It's overwhelming. And thus far unchanging. I hope and pray it's not unchangeable.

Meg
23-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Not going to change IMO. The rioting has nothing to do with what is, and has, actually happened. It is simply for those who are out for themselves as you said Deanie. They need to work on being more like MLK and less like Malcom X...being respectful, yet forceful and well-spoken will further the cause for equality moreso than violence and greed.

4AMNTN
23-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Agreed. And, off topic :mad:WHAT IS TIME THINKING!!!!! :confused: :idunno:I'm sure that one of our Olympians deserve this more, or someone that has benefitted others, a heroic feat, SOMEONE OTHER THAN THIS JERK.:angry:

4AMNTN
23-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Deanie you are so right. Ask ANY police officer (& I have) all anyone has to do when pulled over or questioned by a cop is FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS THEY GIVE YOU. Let them do their jobs & fight it out in court! That's THEIR job.
This NC case ? I heard 9 nine 9 times "drop the gun".

4AMNTN
24-09-2016, 01:22 AM
To correct myself it was 12 times that they said drop the gun

Meg
03-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Agreed. And, off topic :mad:WHAT IS TIME THINKING!!!!! :confused: :idunno:I'm sure that one of our Olympians deserve this more, or someone that has benefitted others, a heroic feat, SOMEONE OTHER THAN THIS JERK.:angry:

What's with Time?

YB
03-10-2016, 07:28 PM
I'd guess 4AMNTN means Time Magazine's Person of the Year. I think it went to Angela Merkel in 2015 but I've not heard who the 2016 winner is

Deanie
03-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Believe she was talking about the Oct 3rd cover. Magazine showed football player kneeling in protest while the National anthem played.

4AMNTN
03-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Deanie you are correct. My goodness he can't be seriously in the running for person of the year!! :angry:

Meg
04-10-2016, 01:23 PM
I don't watch the news and generally don't read it either...I get all my news from facebook or when someone mentions something. Otherwise I'm pretty clueless...and most of the time I think I'm happier for it :lol:

4AMNTN
05-11-2016, 01:35 AM
Ok here I go. The CMAs do not have an obligation to be the music genre "sweethearts" . Every music genre awards show deserves to be true to that particular type of music. It's not racist!!! People who like jazz may not like listening to punk rock YOU SEE? I for one do not believe Beyoncť had a need to be at the CMAs nor a few others. It's the night of honoring hard work in THAT field. (we are not invited to the BET awards nor do we want to!
They are separate & that's ok! Gee!
Who cares if someone or thousands are offended that we didn't want HER or the Dixie Chicks there it's OUR music. Period! no RACISM intended "it's just us" as we say in the south.

momckee
05-11-2016, 04:13 AM
Just saw a clip of Beyonce at a Clinton rally and she really bounces around the stage, no idea what she was singing about and it's the first time I've heard her. I am not familiar with the current pop music although I see that Garth Brooks won an award at the CMA's - haven't heard him sing but he looks good in the pictures I've seen of him.

Meg
07-11-2016, 03:09 PM
I didn't watch the CMAs...country is really no longer country. For some reason so many new 'artists' feel the need to do duets with rappers or rock artists...sometimes it works out, but mostly it doesn't. And like you said 4A....rappers aren't inviting Charlie Daniels to do a duet with them, so I'm not really sure why they're trying to cross the genre boundary. Glad I missed that nonsense!
Garth is awesome in concert, seen him 2x. And yeah he still looks good after all these years!

4AMNTN
07-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Meg are you going to record his Thursday night concert ? Here on Direct TV it's channel 238-9??? I saw him once & even tho I'm a hard rock fan his was one of the best concerts I've ever been too. I WANT TO SEE JASON ALDEAN!!!

Meg
07-11-2016, 03:25 PM
No cable or dish so maybe my friend Pinky will...she's a huge Garth fan too. I went with her to his concert in Orlando last month. Was nice to take the time to go after Hurricane Matthew. I think I have his concert in Central Park on tape. And I remember his televised concert a few years ago right before he started touring. I figured he was doing the tv concert to get hype for his upcoming tour. So glad I've gotten to see him 2x!

4AMNTN
29-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Wasn't really sure where to post this (or at all).
The sexual allegations going around are out of control. Absolutely the rape, and assaults should be punishable crime. But IMO the: he touched my knee, he came to the door with a robe on, he ... IF there wasn't any contact, IF you has the chance to walk away, IF IT HAPPENED 30 YEARS AGO... There's flirting - which times are a changin' - then there are the serial pervs. Lord I could fill a page with "for instances" and YES, two I should have pressed charges on --- the third & 4th I did report. Of course I was 40ish then the others I was 16 & 22. (all 3 were Dr.s). The Walmart guy had just gotten out of prison on a rape & assault charge from OHIO.

TMI???

Dan M.
29-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Predatory and bullying behavior of any kind should be dealt with seriously. In the back of my mind, though, I wonder if we're trending toward standards of conduct that will have the majority of people accused of improprieties or worse at some point. I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone's behavior, but clearly standards of what is acceptable or tolerated have shifted and continue to shift, which is ironic when you consider most of the very popular shows and movies deal with exactly the sort of behavior that often encourages people to act out inappropriately or even in a criminal way. As kids many of us enjoyed Pepe LePew cartoons (the amorous skunk from Looney Tunes). We were indoctrinated to laugh at the female cat's discomfort and feel sorry for Pepe because he was just looking for love. He'd be labeled a sex offender and be locked up in today's world. Or maybe you girls didn't think those cartoons were funny, I don't know. Today female cartoonists could claim sexual harassment if they were assigned to work on such a cartoon.

4AMNTN
30-11-2017, 01:54 AM
Bugs Bunny was my favorite! Love Pepe la pew!

momckee
30-11-2017, 06:11 AM
Every day there is a new allegation about some celebrity and some seem a bit odd - why wait so long to say anything although Roy Moore seems like a bit of a creep? I guess it just takes one person to be brave enough to speak out and that starts the ball rolling. I can understand a woman who is dependent on her pay cheque being afraid to say anything about a boss who is getting a bit touchy, feely and it shouldn't be that way but I really can't understand anyone submitting to actual intercourse which really would be rape. That would be a case for the police not for management. I guess unless you are in the situation it's hard to understand. A pinch on the bum requires a slap and that should be sufficient, I would think and a warning not to try it again. However, every case is different I guess.

Meg
30-11-2017, 08:52 PM
I'm with you Dan...we have shows, movies (remember The Graduate? perseverance gets the girl) and books that promote that behavior with a 'good' outcome (boy wins girl). And then we expect different behavior IRL. I believe something should be said when it happens or let it go. I understand that if your pay depends on it, it's a touchy situation, but as I told my boss when it was brought up about Matt Lauer...I like this job but if something like that was happening I would say something...and if nothing was done about it & I lost my job...well I was looking for this job when I found it...there's another out there. Easier to say now that I have a tiny bit of $$ saved up but if you're paycheck to paycheck it may be tough to take a stand.

Style
01-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Predatory and bullying behavior of any kind should be dealt with seriously. In the back of my mind, though, I wonder if we're trending toward standards of conduct that will have the majority of people accused of improprieties or worse at some point. I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone's behavior, but clearly standards of what is acceptable or tolerated have shifted and continue to shift, which is ironic when you consider most of the very popular shows and movies deal with exactly the sort of behavior that often encourages people to act out inappropriately or even in a criminal way. As kids many of us enjoyed Pepe LePew cartoons (the amorous skunk from Looney Tunes). We were indoctrinated to laugh at the female cat's discomfort and feel sorry for Pepe because he was just looking for love. He'd be labeled a sex offender and be locked up in today's world. Or maybe you girls didn't think those cartoons were funny, I don't know. Today female cartoonists could claim sexual harassment if they were assigned to work on such a cartoon.

:clap:

YB
01-12-2017, 08:27 PM
This has been going on in the UK for the past three or four years. Literally dozens of famous (or in some cases those who like to think they are famous) names have been arrested over things that "allegedly" happened in the 70's/80's. After trials which last for weeks and cost a fortune only about three/four have been convicted. Basically after all that time there is no reliable evidence, just one persons word against another.

It is strange that only "famous" people are accused. If I think back then I was probably guilty of touching the odd girls knee 40/50 years ago. I've never been accused, perhaps because I'm a nobody.

I agree that what was acceptable years ago is no longer due to political correctness. Plus also if it is reported now the police have no alternative to investigate. Over the past three years our local police have used up one third of their manpower and one third of their resources looking into historical abuse cases. Meanwhile those doing the dirty deeds now are getting away with it because the police haven't time to thoroughly look into the current cases

I also agree that full blown forced sex is not acceptable and anyone found guilty of this should be severely punished, with the punishment drastically increased for repeat offender.

If stories are to be believed hundreds of years ago people caught stealing had finger(s) chopped off. Obvious solution for serial sex offenders

4AMNTN
02-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Love the implication there. U steal u get a finger severed
Eye for an eye you know.

momckee
08-12-2017, 12:46 AM
It seems as though whatever Al Franken was accused of happened about 8 to 10 years ago before he became a Senator and unless I'm mistaken he was not accused of anything recently. Was how he might have behaved be part of the then culture and he behaved himself when he became part of the political establishment. It's all very puzzling. Whatever it's all about I'm sick and tired of all the carryon surrounding politics.

Meg
12-12-2017, 05:11 PM
It seems as though whatever Al Franken was accused of happened about 8 to 10 years ago before he became a Senator and unless I'm mistaken he was not accused of anything recently. Was how he might have behaved be part of the then culture and he behaved himself when he became part of the political establishment. It's all very puzzling. Whatever it's all about I'm sick and tired of all the carryon surrounding politics.

And that's why I mostly ignore all this stuff and watch home improvement shows

momckee
12-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Good thinking Meg.

4AMNTN
12-12-2017, 08:11 PM
I agree. This "it happened in the 70's-80's, blah blah".... Unless it was a CRIME ... and it should have been reported on THEN.

momckee
13-12-2017, 11:43 PM
I'm neither Republican nor Democrat although leaning towards Liberal but I have to say I'm delighted that Mr. Jones beat Mr. Moore in the Alabama election. I didn't care at all for Mr. Moore and when he came out after the election not conceding the result and then quoting Bible verse I thought he seemed to me to be saying that God would put it right. I guess I believed the women who spoke out against him and maybe Alabama would do o.k. with Mr. Jones who seems to want to do things right for his State. I hope he does.

momckee
15-02-2018, 04:56 AM
I posted this on Facebook tonight and have to say I am really heartbroken about the shooting today at the Florida school. Seems like this happens too often.

"Had written a long post about the US gun culture then deleted it - I was really angry when I was typing it, but I realized I would just be whistling in the wind. People are sad and everyone says the right things but not one change is ever enacted. Come on US - do something about this tragedy, 4 school shootings already this year. Children shooting children. It's insane."

I realize that there is little I can do about this as I have no legal standing in the US - I would certainly be ranting on to our government if this sort of situation was ongoing. Surely someone, somewhere can enact some legislation to stop the massacre of the school children!

4AMNTN
15-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Mo. I read last night that there have been 18 school shootings this year in the US. It IS very sad. I don't see blaming the guns though. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Home? Shouldn't something like this "training" start at home? Because we see that anything can be used: cars! We can't take the cars away. How & when did this kid? get a gun anyway? some times, there are just "misguided" folks out there.
Of course I have a gun ... grew up where I don't think anything is wrong with gun ownership. BUT... I DO see something wrong with women covering up, being abused, having to walk behind men, unable to drive .... shall I go on? It's a culture thing some would say.
Still is a horrific tragedy ... those poor families left behind.

momckee
16-02-2018, 12:29 AM
4A - I don't agree that guns don't kill people, that is their purpose, to kill or to wound, otherwise there wouldn't be this huge gun industry. People do get killed when run over or knocked down by a car but cars are not manufactured for that purpose. I just can't get my head around everyone, or not everyone, wanting a gun, how often is that gun used to protect its owner or does it stay in the lock box in the house just in case or gets carelessly stored and some youngster gets in and shoots it accidentally. It's all very well saying that you can't restrict gun ownership because you are taking someone's constitutional right away to own one, but heavens alive, the constitution didn't come down from the mountains in tablet form, it can be amended. Apparently at the moment you can't take away a person's right to have a gun even if they are mentally unstable unless vetted by a judge so even if you know someone is totally round the bend there is little that can be done about preventing them from having a firearm unless you can get a Judge to say they are unfit to own one. If I have that wrong please correct it, but that is my understanding of a US citizen's constitutional right to own a firearm and I think there are a lot of crazies out there.:idunno:

As you can tell I am really disturbed about this, just seeing those kids running out of the school and then hearing that 17 people died is just heartbreaking, just the way all the other mass shootings have been.

Dan M.
16-02-2018, 02:17 AM
I think part of the trouble is the reluctance to go out on a limb, morally and legally, and say and further more prove that someone is mentally disturbed enough to be denied possession of firearms. I don't think anybody in the country is against keeping guns away from crazy people. I'm certainly not. But that all takes time and money and the mental health system is overloaded with the cases they have as it is. Donald Trump talks about draining the Washington swamp, but the mental health swamp in this country is immensely more vast and frightening, and groups like the ACLU are ready to defend against people being categorized in such a way that would possibly lead to them losing any of their rights or freedoms, even if you leave guns out of the picture.

Don't misread me, I'm not saying that there aren't things that might help. Enforcing laws that require better record keeping and reporting of people with mental health issues for starters. Universal background checks sound great (I'm not against them) and a national standard met by all states might help, but if somebody is under the radar, like the guy in Vegas, that won't stop them either, and it's too late when we find out he's a problem.

30 years ago, there were shooting clubs in high schools, kids brought their rifles to school to shoot at school ranges or to go hunting after school got out, and nobody thought anything of it. Guns were easy to get back then, much easier than now in most states. Nowhere in the US is it easier to get guns now than it was 30 years ago. What has changed in 30 years that we now have these types of shootings so frequently?

A mandatory US gun buyback like England or Australia would lead to civil war. There are gun owners (not me) who would protect their guns as vehemently as the South tried to protect their rights to keep slavery. It might come to that though. I hope not.

Oh, and that 18 school shooting in 2018 number is cobbled together like Frankenstein's monster, a bunch of parts and pieces that don't belong together. It includes stuff like a somebody committing suicide in a school parking lot at 2 in the morning, etc. If you Google it you can find out the breakdown of shooting that make up that number of 18 so far this year.

momckee
16-02-2018, 03:19 AM
Thanks Dan, for your input, better I should just be an observer and try to stay calm!:confused:

4AMNTN
16-02-2018, 03:42 AM
Yes. Ur right Dan. There are ?30k violent gun deaths a year & ?20k of those are suicides.

Dan M.
16-02-2018, 06:39 PM
Thanks Dan, for your input, better I should just be an observer and try to stay calm!:confused:

Mo, by all means, please speak your mind. I'm not trying to come against your concerns at all. Sorry if it came off that way.

momckee
16-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Didn't take it that way Dan, just that I get emotional when I know parents have lost children, its agonizing!

Dan M.
16-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Didn't take it that way Dan, just that I get emotional when I know parents have lost children, its agonizing!

It is indeed.

Style
19-02-2018, 05:28 PM
Mo - For what it's worth, I agree with your initial post 100%. The recent shooting was very close to the area in which we live here in South Florida. While registered with "No party affiliation", I lean Democrat for most things though not all (have voted both ways). Not sure I see the purpose of guns other than to kill, especially automatic weapons. Countries with much much stricter gun laws have way less incidents than the US. The 18 incidents in the initial 1 1/2 months in the US equals the 18 incidents in the rest of the world during those months! IMO, automatic guns should be available to military and police only.

On another note, I'm don't see the sport in hunting so guns in general don't float my boat...

YB
19-02-2018, 05:50 PM
I think I'm with Style on this one. When the US constitution was drawn up some 220+ years ago if anyone had a gun it would be a single shot or six-shooter at best. The type of weapon that can fire dozens of rounds per minute had not been invented then.

The US constitution has been amended numerous times (more than 20) since its inception and maybe its time for another amendment outlawing automatic weapons. The most people you can kill or injure with a six-shooter is six, the weapons available now are much more deadly. I accept that even a change in the laws would not make it impossible for the more unscrupulous ones to obtain an automatic weapon but surely it would be more difficult for them?

Dan M.
20-02-2018, 09:28 PM
FWIW, the rifle used in the FL shooting wasn't an automatic rifle. Those have been very strictly regulated since the 1930s. The AR-15 fires one shot per one trigger squeeze, just like a revolver. The magazine capacity is obviously way larger than a six shot revolver and that's at least one thing that might come of this--a ban on magazines larger than 10 rounds, although we have that ban here in CA and the terrorist couple that committed the San Bernardino shooting weren't noticeably slowed by it.

4AMNTN
21-02-2018, 01:07 AM
Thatís the thing. You can regulate & ban all u want. The bad guys will ALWAYS have what they want.

YB
21-02-2018, 08:35 PM
Thanks, Dan

Proper facts from the man on the spot. I get my info from the media and they, believe it or not, sometimes embellish the truth to suit their own agenda!

Whilst not disagreeing Fours, as I understand it many of the shootings are not committed by the "bad guys" but by someone who is disturbed. The "bad guys", those intent on criminal pursuits (or terrorists) will always know how to get hold of weapons but the temporary disturbed (often teen or early 20's) won't have those kind of contacts and so less guns around would perhaps make it more difficult for them.

No easy answer though

Style
22-02-2018, 04:16 PM
FWIW, the rifle used in the FL shooting wasn't an automatic rifle. Those have been very strictly regulated since the 1930s. The AR-15 fires one shot per one trigger squeeze, just like a revolver. The magazine capacity is obviously way larger than a six shot revolver and that's at least one thing that might come of this--a ban on magazines larger than 10 rounds, although we have that ban here in CA and the terrorist couple that committed the San Bernardino shooting weren't noticeably slowed by it.

Dan - Technically, you are correct (forgive my ignorance as it relates to guns). The AR-15 is a semi-automatic gun with which the user needs to pull the trigger to fire each shot (as you mentioned). "The AR was designed for speedy reloading in combat situations, and it can fire dozens of rounds in seconds."

I should have stated that semi-automatic and automatic guns should not be available to anyone other than the military and police.

An honest question -- can someone tell me if there is another purpose for an automatic or semi-automatic gun other than killing mass amounts of people? If not, get them the f*ck off the market...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I disagree with the "bad guys will always get what they want" argument. Some of those guys certainly will get what they want, but if it stops just one, it would be more than worth it.

4AMNTN
22-02-2018, 04:26 PM
If it helps just one ... so totally agree! I also agree there is no reason for a gun with a massive firing capability. I do know there a people that like to collect guns - that would never use a gun for a crazy purpose -. As there are people out there that want a car that has 1000hp. A car that goes 0-60 in 2 sec. We sell those, hell even have SHOWS for them... they shouldn't exist.
I do agree with having an armed person in the schools. WE'VE let it come to this, how that's possible -that's the question: what happened to get us here. It didn't start in the last 13 months.

Dan M.
22-02-2018, 08:04 PM
I completely agree it needs be impossible for mentally disturbed people to possess or have access to firearms of any kind. Short of a national mandatory order to turn in all semi-automatic firearms, I don't see how it would be possible to ensure that no person who is legally barred from obtaining such a weapon from getting one. If such a national mandate was ordered, there would literally be a civil war. Not as big as THE Civil War, but it would happen. If you recall what happened in Waco, TX a while back with David Koresh and his followers, multiply that scenario by a couple hundred. There enough people, not crazy people either, who are determined to keep their guns, to make that happen. I would not be among them.

As far as the benefit of semi-automatic function, the main benefit is a faster next shot, whether you're shooting game (yes semi-autos, including AR-15s and a number of popular semi-auto shotguns) are used for hunting all the time, especially in the western US where the landscape tends to be less forested) or people. Obviously that's a perfect application for warfare and SWAT purposes, but interestingly enough, the AR-15 hasn't been used for war, at least not by the United States military. It's a civilian variant of the M16 and M4 rifles, which ARE capable of automatic fire. It may be used in guerilla warfare in other countries, but military requirements being what they are, infantry soldiers need automatic rifles, so it's not used.

Regarding semi-autos only being used by police and military, if they ever end up being banned for civilian use, I think that semi-auto pistols should be looked at very carefully in regard to use by the police. As it stands, there should be some retraining, IMO, of use of firearms by police departments. They are trained to shoot to stop the threat. That means continue shooting until the threat is immobilized. That's why you see reports of dozens, maybe hundreds of rounds, being fired in police shootings.

4AMNTN
22-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Dan can you elaborate on the CA secession ?? help please? Is it mostly coastal counties? And what of sanctuary cities? Your opinion, please.

Dan M.
22-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Dan can you elaborate on the CA secession ?? help please? Is it mostly coastal counties? And what of sanctuary cities? Your opinion, please.

There's a city (Los Alamitos) here in Orange County that has voted to NOT be a part of the CA sanctuary state status implemented by our governor, Jerry Brown. There are a number of different movements seeking to gain ground here. There are several groups lobbying to divide the state in two along varying lines depending on the group. There are a number of cities that have declared themselves sanctuary cities that will not cooperate with some federal immigration and deportation requirements. Recently ICE (federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement) conducted a series of raids in Oakland, CA (yeah, the Raiders, that Oakland) to round up gang members who were here illegally and the mayor of Oakland sent out tweets and other social media communications that warned the immigrant communities of the raids taking place. Hundreds of people who were being targeted in the raids were able to make themselves scarce. I'm sure there were people on the list that didn't belong there, and it would've been a likely slow process to get that all sorted out if they were detained, but there were also people on the list who were violent illegal immigrant criminal gang members from gangs like MS-13, and Then you have Governor Brown declaring the whole state a sanctuary state, which makes me wonder (it's confusing to us CAnians too) why we have sanctuary cities if the whole state is a sanctuary state?

The areas that are the most sanctuary-prone are the areas with high immigrant populations, and yes, most of them are densely populated coastal regions like the San Francisco bay area, and the Los Angeles and San Diego areas. There are some inland areas too, but they aren't as large as those other three.

My opinion is CA has pretty much passed a point of no return in reversing the situation.

4AMNTN
01-04-2018, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the info Dan. Itís easy for us outsiders to ROLL OUR EYES at some of the liberal BS coming out of CA. I just donít understand sanctuary cities & some of the things CA wants to do & pass. This still is the US of A right?
Ok Iíll stop there[emoji631]