PDA

View Full Version : Currently Reading

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Meg
29-07-2015, 08:48 PM
I am struggling through "Go Set a Watchman". I'm only about 50 pages in, and really can't make myself finish it...I keep starting other books. I've finished 3 others since starting Watchman....and all of those were good! Has anyone else read Watchman? Did you feel the same way or did you like it?

Fiona
30-07-2015, 03:24 PM
I have no interest in it Meg. Haven't read Mockingbird either. I'm reading Michael Connelly's Black Box and The Tapir's Morning Bath by Elizabeth Royte.

Deanie
30-07-2015, 06:46 PM
I saw an ad for "Go Set A Watchman" and was going to post and ask if anyone on here had read it. Thanks, Meg. Why isn't it holding your interest - if I may ask?

I don't really recall the Mockingbird movie although I'm sure I saw it. Like Fiona, I haven't read the book.

Meg
30-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Scout is obnoxious, contentious, argumentative...like a person I would not like to know at all and it seems to jump around quite a bit which means I find it hard to follow. The lady who picked it for book club finished it & didn't like it all...another lady just started it & is enjoying it.

Deanie
31-07-2015, 06:35 PM
It doesn't sound like I'd enjoy it either. If it isn't a murder mystery, thriller, or suspense story or a certain type of fantasy it doesn't hold my interest.

Meg
04-08-2015, 01:47 PM
It seemed to be about nothing, but again I didn't get very far before giving up on it...I've read about 6 books in the last couple weeks & just started another and all of them held my attention!

Deanie
04-08-2015, 06:51 PM
It doesn't sound like I'd enjoy it either. If it isn't a murder mystery, thriller, or suspense story or a certain type of fantasy it doesn't hold my interest.

I'm adding to the above statement because it's incomplete....I also enjoy Susan Wilson's writing. She writes standalone books and each one features a dog as a central part of the story. Modern day tales about living and loving. The protagonist often has to deal with a tragedy or heartbreak. The author is very talented at weaving the dog in and out of the main character's life in some way or the other. ~ I like dogs and like to read about them when the story is well written and well told.

Meg
19-08-2015, 08:07 PM
I'm reading Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult.

On a side note...went to Salvation Army (thrift store) and picked up 4 books for $0.58! Light chick-lit type books for the end of summer.

4AMNTN
21-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Currently reading Your Next Breath an Iris Johansen book, Ling seems to be the lead, not Eve Duncan.

4AMNTN
27-08-2015, 12:44 AM
Had to stop the Iris Johansen book it was boring!!
Reading Kill Alex Cross. I'm about 5 books behind on those![emoji433]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

momckee
27-08-2015, 04:35 AM
The Nature of the Beast, Louise Penny.

Meg
27-08-2015, 04:54 PM
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Dan M.
27-08-2015, 05:33 PM
LAST WORDS by Michael Koryta

Deanie
27-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Dan, I just posted about "Last Words" in another thread. I thoroughly enjoy Michael Koryta's books.

momckee
27-08-2015, 07:20 PM
I just downloaded this, it's waiting on my Kindle when I've finished the latest Louise Penny mystery.

4AMNTN
28-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Alex Cross, Run

Fiona
30-08-2015, 05:33 AM
Make Me - Lee Child. I will finish it tonight (Sunday). Without giving anything away other than this, page 355, last paragraph is one of the funniest things I have read for a long time.

Finished the book a few minutes ago. All in all, not bad. Not bad at all. Got a bit ordinary from time to time but overall it was ok.

4AMNTN
01-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Cross my Heart. Then I'll have Hope to Die, James Patterson. Oh! but after that Make Me should be out!!!

Style
02-09-2015, 10:03 PM
The English Spy - Daniel Silva

Meg
03-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Shark Skin Suite by Tim Dorsey

Deanie
03-09-2015, 05:26 PM
City of Echoes by Robert Ellis featuring Detective Matt Jones. First book in a new series by this author.

Next up The Darkest Day by Tom Wood.

momckee
03-09-2015, 07:18 PM
City of Echoes by Robert Ellis featuring Detective Matt Jones. First book in a new series by this author.

Next up The Darkest Day by Tom Wood.

Have made a note of these authors, have read Tom Wood I think but will check both him and Mr. Ellis.

momckee
06-09-2015, 01:05 AM
Am reading Last Words by Michael Koryta and it is about the most tedious book I've read in a long time. Keep wondering if I should just leave it and move on but will probably persevere as I'm at 80% so might as well know what all the mystery is about.:rolleyes:

Meg
08-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Finished Suitcase City by Sterling Watson...was decent.
Now reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North which is a book club selection. Not one I would normally choose.

4AMNTN
08-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Make Me!

Dan M.
08-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Am reading Last Words by Michael Koryta and it is about the most tedious book I've read in a long time. Keep wondering if I should just leave it and move on but will probably persevere as I'm at 80% so might as well know what all the mystery is about.:rolleyes:

I think he could've made it shorter, true. But I still liked it. :)

Deanie
09-09-2015, 01:22 AM
So did I, Dan.

momckee
09-09-2015, 04:36 AM
I guess I'm the odd one out then, I thought the plot kind of petered out at the end but with a bit of a hook to see where his next adventure would take him. Must say I wasn't all that comfortable in the caves either. It surprised me that I didn't care for the book because I've read other books by him and enjoyed them.

momckee
16-09-2015, 04:34 AM
Just finished reading a couple of hours ago Chalk Line by our own Veronica Smith (a forum member) and thought it was great. Not a long story but well worth reading. Congratulations Veronica, you done good! :thumbsup:

4AMNTN
16-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Fixin' to (going to, aboot to, etc.) start on ALERT, James Patterson's Michael Bennett series.

Meg
17-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Not reading anything right now. But I'm number 74 on the list at the library for X by Sue Grafton and 183 for Make Me!!!

4AMNTN
19-09-2015, 01:52 AM
183? Oh Meg i hope u like the book more than I did.

Meg
21-09-2015, 02:14 PM
My aunt works at the library & saw that I was on the hold list...but one was on the shelf so I just got Make Me last night. I'll be starting it today at lunch!

Brouwer
25-09-2015, 10:03 PM
'De nakna kvinnornas ö' by Inger Frimansson

Deanie
25-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Reading Deceptions by Kelley Armstrong. Had to take time out to read Harry Hunsicker's new book in the Jonathan Cantrell series, The Grid.

4AMNTN
25-09-2015, 11:47 PM
Enjoying & reading Speaking in Bones a Tempe Brennan book

momckee
26-09-2015, 04:36 AM
'De nakna kvinnornas ö' by Inger Frimansson

And the title of the book for those of us on this side of the Atlantic is? :D

Meg
28-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Finished "Make Me" & on to "Devoted in Death" by JD Robb

Fiona
28-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Finished "Make Me" & on to "Devoted in Death" by JD Robb

I tried to get into the JD Robb books but couldn't. There was something very frustrating about Eve that I couldn't put my finger on.

Meg
29-09-2015, 01:20 PM
I tried to get into the JD Robb books but couldn't. There was something very frustrating about Eve that I couldn't put my finger on.

Eve is pretty intense. I'm about halfway through Devoted & just picked up X at the library. My aunt comes through again! I was 50-something on the hold list & she had it come through her library. So I have 7 days to get X back to the library!

Fiona
29-09-2015, 04:10 PM
Eve is pretty intense. I'm about halfway through Devoted & just picked up X at the library. My aunt comes through again! I was 50-something on the hold list & she had it come through her library. So I have 7 days to get X back to the library!I finished X this afternoon. I only read it in bed. Let me know how you go with it.

momckee
29-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Last Resort by Quintin Jardine

4AMNTN
01-10-2015, 03:51 PM
What Lies Behind, a J.T. Ellison book. she writes (usually) about the Det. from Nashville - my back yard! But she's onto the Medical Examiner Sam Owens & now the character lives in D.C.

Mojo
03-10-2015, 03:07 PM
You are all reading some very interesting stuff!
I have to go to the library!

momckee
03-10-2015, 10:57 PM
Am reading a book by an author Deanie reminded me about, Alex Kava, hadn't read any of her books recently but got Breaking Creed, about a dog handler, and Agent Maggie O'Dell is in it too. Feeling a bit itchy as bad drug types are using creepy crawlies to torture people, fire ants, scorpions, spiders and even three coral snakes are in the picture. I like the dogs in the story, just hope none of them get hurt.

4AMNTN
03-10-2015, 11:39 PM
Yes! I like the Maggie O'Dell series! Been reading Kava for years. Still wishing she & Nick to get back together!

Meg
05-10-2015, 09:29 PM
If I Did It by OJ Simpson

- - - Updated - - -

I finished X this afternoon. I only read it in bed. Let me know how you go with it.

I enjoyed this one & finished it pretty quickly. I don't think I like that the bad guy is still out there.

4AMNTN
06-10-2015, 09:12 PM
You know I watched an autopsy report with Dr. Shepherd on Nicole Brown Simpson not saying you should believe everything you see on TV but when it has DNA involved you kinda want to believe it. He kept referring to the DNA under her fingernails and the blood DNA evidence at the scene as familiar with OJ. He was referring to O.J. Simpson's oldest son I don't know his name but he was @ 20 at the time of the murder . It was a very interesting one hour show if y'all can find it watch it!!

momckee
09-10-2015, 04:16 AM
Just finished The Survivor by Vince Flynn completed by Kyle Mills - lots of suspense and a good and frightening plot. I found Mitch Rapp to be embittered and not terribly pleasant, although how you can be pleasant and do the kind of work he does is hard to imagine, but I always thought of him as heroic and kind of nice. He's not really nice in this book, the characters are maybe a wee bit shopworn. However, he gets the job done. I think there's another VF book in the works, will have to get that one to see if I notice any difference. Let me know how you like it Gis and also Style. Could be you'll have a totally different take on it.

Style
09-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Mo- I'm on the library list to get The Survivor so it could be a few weeks.

Did you find the read seamless given that it was Flynn's writing for a portion then Mills or were you able to detect a definitive difference in writing styles?

Meg
09-10-2015, 06:09 PM
You know I watched an autopsy report with Dr. Shepherd on Nicole Brown Simpson not saying you should believe everything you see on TV but when it has DNA involved you kinda want to believe it. He kept referring to the DNA under her fingernails and the blood DNA evidence at the scene as familiar with OJ. He was referring to O.J. Simpson's oldest son I don't know his name but he was @ 20 at the time of the murder . It was a very interesting one hour show if y'all can find it watch it!!

I'll have to see if I can find it. I remember this being such a huge thing that we even had a teacher put on the trial while we were in class...I was in high school at the time. Hard to believe that I'm older than she was when she was murdered.
OJ's 'hypothetical' at the end of the book was pretty detailed...who was where, what was said, etc.

momckee
10-10-2015, 02:09 AM
Mo- I'm on the library list to get The Survivor so it could be a few weeks.

Did you find the read seamless given that it was Flynn's writing for a portion then Mills or were you able to detect a definitive difference in writing styles?

Actually Style I found the beginning a bit awkward but I think that was because there were a lot of names of Pakistani dignitaries and I had to keep trying to figure out their various functions, then the writing seemed to smooth out a bit but that was when I was getting into the Kennedy, Rapp, Hurley part. I thought that Kyle's portrayal of Rapp, if indeed that was where he took over, was maybe a bit heavier than what I was expecting, as I said I didn't find him as nice as I remembered but maybe I remembered him wrongly? I think Kyle maybe made Rapp into a much rougher type character and I honestly don't remember him being pegged as an assassin although I guess his assignments were to finish off the bad guys. Maybe that's when the difference in the writing was what I was seeing. It's almost as though I would have to go back to a prior VF book to verify any of this as my memory isn't always all that I hope it would be. The book reads well though so there was no one part where for me there was a definite break in the writing or any clumsiness.

4AMNTN
22-02-2016, 12:12 AM
I'm about to start NYPD Red by James Patterson. There are about 5 books in this series.
!!!!!I just finished in one night - The Murder House also Patterson it was AWESOME!!! Y'all should look into this stand alone book! Couldn't put it down. Also read The latest ALEX CROSS book & that was good too.

4AMNTN
23-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Oops saw that there are more "Private" books so I'll finish them.

Gismo
24-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Oops saw that there are more "Private" books so I'll finish them. I was the same, thought there was only one but, nope, there are several :lol:

Brouwer
24-02-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm about to start NYPD Red by James Patterson. There are about 5 books in this series.
!!!!!I just finished in one night - The Murder House also Patterson it was AWESOME!!! Y'all should look into this stand alone book! Couldn't put it down. Also read The latest ALEX CROSS book & that was good too.

OK, well then, The Murder House by James Patterson shall be my next read! After I finished The Alibi Man by Tami Hoag.

Meg
24-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Not reading anything right now. Finished a book club book that I was not thrilled about. Only about a 175 pages & took me about 2 weeks to read it.

4AMNTN
24-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Yes Brouwer! As I said to Gis I had about 6 possible suspects. I read it in one night - thought it was a really good read

momckee
25-02-2016, 05:42 AM
Am reading a Richard Herman book (in between spells of In the Garden of Beasts) and I like his writing, have read several of his books and if I was able I would tell you the title of the latest one. :( I read the book and can name the characters but as the titles are all on the Kindle I seem to forget them quicker than if I was reading a paper book)

Katie
26-02-2016, 03:25 AM
I can't remember what I read on Kindle either, Mo, which is a shame because I bought it for nonfiction. I liked IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS--hope you enjoy it, too.

If anyone likes paranormal horror, Kali Wallace's SHALLOW GRAVES is good--came out a month ago.

momckee
27-02-2016, 04:27 AM
Still slogging my way through In The Garden of Beasts, Germany in the 1930's and the events leading up to WWII as seen through the life of U.S. Ambassador Dodd, Ambassador to Germany - quite an ineffectual man who really only wanted a job where he would have lots of time for his writing about the South. The language and behaviour of diplomats is quite amazing, no one ever says what they really mean for fear of causing an international incident, it's all couched in the language of diplomacy so events move quite slowly.:rolleyes:

Style
29-02-2016, 04:50 PM
The First Order - by Jeff Abbott

4AMNTN
29-02-2016, 09:05 PM
NYPD Red James Patterson

4AMNTN
03-03-2016, 03:18 AM
Yeah that was ok I'm starting NYPD red 2 now

Meg
03-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Will be starting 'Girl from the Train' by Irma Joubert in the next few days for book club.

Fiona
05-03-2016, 04:52 PM
I was reading the Vince Flynn Mitch Rapp books. After a while they became so repetitive and boring that I barely got into a few chapters of one of the more recent ones before I couldn't go any further. I didn't like the character of his wife either. Thankfully, with the exception of the first one, which was a freebie, they were library books. I'm reading James Patterson's Private: London. Nothing startling but it's an easy read. I've read Red. It was ok.

momckee
06-03-2016, 06:02 AM
The Forgotten by David Baldacci, not bad so far.

4AMNTN
06-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Yeah the Reds are just ok. I like the fact that I can mentally "see" the city's layout . I enjoyed the Private series! And Mo I've read only Baldacci's King & Maxwell? series - which I enjoy a lot.

Dan M.
07-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Going old school and rereading THE MAN FROM SKIBBEREEN by Louis L'Amour. I'm trying to stay interested in Mark Dawson's John Milton series. I'm up to Book 3 and it's not doing a lot for me, nor did Books 1 and 2.

momckee
08-03-2016, 04:58 AM
Louis L'Amour writes Westerns doesn't he? I think Dave has read some of his books.

Deanie
08-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Dan, I like the John Milton series by Mark Dawson. But if the books aren't doing it for you - stop. There are waaay too many other authors and books to try. Like - Glen Erik Hamilton. First book was"Past Crimes" featuring Van Shaw. 2nd book, released today, "Hard Cold Winter." Also being released today T. Jefferson Parker's "Crazy Blood." I believe this one is a standalone. I've always enjoyed this author's books. I also liked Greg Hurwitz's "Orphan X" featuring Evan Smoak. This book was released in January and is the first in a series. Another good read is a debut by Nicholas Petrie featuring Peter Ash, "The Drifter." You can check 'em out on Amazon.com. Perhaps one will catch your fancy. :reading:

Meg
09-03-2016, 05:11 PM
I'm with Deanie on this Dan. I used to force myself to finish a book no matter how long it took. Now if by page 80 I'm not into it, I return it to the library, delete it from my kindle, put it in the donate pile and move on to the next!

4AMNTN
09-03-2016, 11:04 PM
I agree. I've only had a few of those thank goodness. It was a James patter sons Alex Cross several years back but just decided to skip that one & caught up a few years later . Turned out to be ok

momckee
10-03-2016, 04:53 AM
I'm still struggling, intermittently, through In the Garden of Beasts, the story of pre WWII Germany, all the leaders fighting each other, and the Jews being persecuted and relieved of their businesses and their money maybe even made to disappear. And the really ineffectual American Ambassador Dodd, a principled man with no clout whatsoever with a wild daughter who is slowly beginning to realize the horrors which are happening. Mostly she had been partying and having a good time. I wonder if I'll be able to finish it, it's slow going.

4AMNTN
10-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Goodbye to the Dead. A Brian Freeman Jonathan Stride book.

4AMNTN
15-03-2016, 09:22 PM
Find Her a D.D. Wallace book. Lisa Gardner? author that's one of those things about a Kindle. I forget the name of the book & IF I touch the Kindle on the side too hard ... well it ends the book! Then I'm like ? what % was I on? THAT'S VERY HARD TO FIGURE OUT!

momckee
16-03-2016, 04:21 AM
Have read this one recently 4A - don't remember how it ends?????

Deanie
16-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Goodbye to the Dead. A Brian Freeman Jonathan Stride book.

I started reading this one last night. Good so far.

What kind of kindle do you have, 4A? Sounds like it has a little goblin or fae in it playing tricks on you.

4AMNTN
17-03-2016, 07:47 PM
I have the Kindle Touch? And yes, if your grip gets too tight on the side it will advance a few pages. And it's been know to also go to the end of the book for the same reason. Weird

Dan M.
18-03-2016, 08:20 PM
I have the Kindle Touch? And yes, if your grip gets too tight on the side it will advance a few pages. And it's been know to also go to the end of the book for the same reason. Weird

Hmm...it would be interesting to know if some authors make you squeeze your Kindle harder than others.

4AMNTN
18-03-2016, 08:49 PM
It happens Dan. I'm reading when one of the cats jumps on the bed wants me to give them a treat so as I'm trying to open the treat bag & just the grip in my hand changes and the kindle will advance to or three pages happens 2-3 X weekly.

momckee
25-03-2016, 04:54 AM
In Bitter Chill by Sarah Ward, a really good mystery set in the Derbyshire countryside, am really enjoying her writing, can hardly put the book down. She's a mystery writer who is new to me but I'll be looking for more of her books.

Meg
25-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Finished The Girl from the Train...very decent book that took place during WWII and the 10 years after. Took place in Germany, Poland & South Africa. Was for book club.
Now reading Unveiling Grace by Lynn Wilder about her & her family leaving the Mormon church.

4AMNTN
26-03-2016, 01:45 AM
NYPD 4

Brouwer
12-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Halfway through The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer. Bit of a struggle to finish it.

momckee
12-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Good to see a friendly poster, hi Brouwer, nice to be back.

Dan M.
12-05-2016, 07:01 PM
I've finished reading all the Longmires and I'm waiting for the new release next week!

momckee
12-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Have The Night Soldiers, by Alan Furst, leading up to the Nazi (nasty) business in Europe (I believe) - haven't started it yet.

Style
12-05-2016, 09:31 PM

I agree Brouwer. I struggled also...

- - - Updated - - -

Waiting on Ballistic by Mark Greaney. I enjoyed the 1st two in this Court Gentry series.

Deanie
12-05-2016, 09:36 PM
I've finished reading all the Longmires and I'm waiting for the new release next week!

Thanks again, Dan. I wasn't aware Craig Johnson had a new book coming out. Now I am and have made a note to myself...Self forgets fairly quickly.

4AMNTN
13-05-2016, 03:05 PM
re-reading the John Becker books by David Wiltse - which I found out is NOW on Amazon for Kindle. While we were gone my KINDLE DIED!!! What a horrible few nights.

Dan M.
13-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Thanks again, Dan. I wasn't aware Craig Johnson had a new book coming out. Now I am and have made a note to myself...Self forgets fairly quickly.

You're welcome! :thumbsup:

Brouwer
15-05-2016, 09:14 PM
My wife returned The Tourist to the library by mistake. Stroke of luck for me;)
Now reading "Kamp Knox" (Onland) by Arnaldur Indridason. Much, much better: a good book feels like a warm bath.

Deanie
16-05-2016, 06:41 PM
I noticed that you nor Style was too fussy on Milo Weaver. I enjoyed him...different taste for different folks and all that. :reading:

4AMNTN
16-05-2016, 07:04 PM
hey Deanie. I've never heard of Milo Weaver, except here.

Deanie
16-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Milo Weaver, CIA agent, is the protagonist in several of Olen Steinhauer's books. I liked the character and the author's writing.

momckee
18-05-2016, 12:28 AM
Just started Boar Island by Nevada Barr, it has been quite a while since her last book, should be a good read. :)

4AMNTN
19-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Did I mention that I got my dad started on reading again. Yep, after a 16 year void - he quit smoking & decided that reading wasn't that much fun. Sad, really. He's on John Sanford's Lucas Davenport now awaiting the 9th book in the series 9-20. NEXT is Jack Reacher. He's already read the Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt books. He used to read ALL the time; he worked "7 on" (21days straight /split 7days 7afternoons 7midnights - then 7 off) Weird way to work --- weird way to grow up.
GOTTA LOVE THE SACRIFICES OUR PARENTS MADE :

Brouwer
25-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Milo Weaver, CIA agent, is the protagonist in several of Olen Steinhauer's books. I liked the character and the author's writing.

Maybe I'll give Milo a second chance this summer.
Just finished Onland (Kamp Knox) by Arnaldur Indriðason, always a good read. Icelandic has a few extra letters like the 'ð' which is pronounced like th in the english word 'that'.
Now reading Murder House by James Patterson.

Gismo
25-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Just started into The Murder House by James Patterson :reading:

Style
25-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Currently on a reading break as I wait for the 3rd Mark Greaney/Court Gentry book to come available to download from our library.

4AMNTN
25-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Style, I loved THe Murder House!! I thought it was great. I had "the guy" pegged several times - as I was supposed to I guess.

Meg
25-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Tried reading The Boys in the Boat & just couldn't get into it. Book club is tonight & I only made it about 100 pages in before giving up.

Finished Water from my Heart by Charles Martin for another book club...great story! I recommend this one. From Amazon....Charlie Finn had to grow up fast, living alone by age sixteen. Highly intelligent, he earned a life-changing scholarship to Harvard, where he learned how to survive and thrive on the outskirts of privileged society. That skill served him well in the cutthroat business world, as it does in more lucrative but dangerous ventures he now operates off the coast of Miami. Charlie tries to separate relationships from work. But when his choices produce devastating consequences, he sets out to right wrongs, traveling to Central America where he will meet those who have paid for his actions, including a woman and her young daughter. Will their fated encounter present Charlie with a way to seek the redemption he thought was impossible--and free his heart to love one woman as he never knew he could?

Reading Obsession in Death by JD Robb.

4AMNTN
30-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Escape Clause, Shadow Play & 15th Affair…. these are on deck. On my last BECKER book.

Deanie
30-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Style, I just saw where Mark Dawson released another John Milton in May - The Jungle. I should have kindled it. Think I'll go do it now while it's on my mind.

Dan M.
31-05-2016, 11:23 PM
I've now officially read all the Longmire stories and novels. No more until September. Season 5 will start showing on Netflix somewhere in that time frame too, I believe.

Maureen, did you finish Boar Island yet? Got a report?

momckee
01-06-2016, 12:09 AM
I've now officially read all the Longmire stories and novels. No more until September. Season 5 will start showing on Netflix somewhere in that time frame too, I believe.

Maureen, did you finish Boar Island yet? Got a report?

Yes I did and I really don't have much to say about it, not at all like the Nevada Barr books of old, in fact, at the moment I'm having trouble remembering a lot of the plot.:idunno:

Had another look at the book to refresh my memory and the plot wasn't one that grabbed me so I read the book and immediately forgot about it. Did you enjoy it Dan?

4AMNTN
01-06-2016, 02:16 PM
And, I got to lookin' those books "to be read" aren't until later in the year.
Brad Meltzer has a new one next week. House of Secrets. It's not a Beecher book but I'm going to read it. His stand alone books before Beecher were really good.

Meg
01-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Still reading Obsession in Death....almost done. Up next is After You.

Style
02-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Style, I just saw where Mark Dawson released another John Milton in May - The Jungle. I should have kindled it. Think I'll go do it now while it's on my mind.

Thanks Deanie.

Dan M.
02-06-2016, 11:06 PM
Had another look at the book to refresh my memory and the plot wasn't one that grabbed me so I read the book and immediately forgot about it. Did you enjoy it Dan?

I haven't gotten it yet. Normally I pick up an Anna Pigeon story first day, but I haven't been as keen on most of the books since BURN, which I enjoyed very much. I might skip this one.

momckee
03-06-2016, 03:59 AM
I haven't gotten it yet. Normally I pick up an Anna Pigeon story first day, but I haven't been as keen on most of the books since BURN, which I enjoyed very much. I might skip this one.

It's just that it isn't along the same lines as her usual adventurous stories which I have come to expect, maybe try the library and then you don't have to pay out the dollars and then not like it.

Brouwer
17-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Style, I loved THe Murder House!! I thought it was great. I had "the guy" pegged several times - as I was supposed to I guess.
Same here! Finished Murder House. Now reading ' Italienska skor' (Italian Shoes) by Henning Mankell.

4AMNTN
18-06-2016, 06:31 AM
Brouwer Did u like The Murder House? I must have thought Style was reading it. Gis did u like it??

Brouwer
19-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Brouwer Did u like The Murder House? I must have thought Style was reading it. Gis did u like it??

Yeah, Patterson is not my all-time favorite, but I liked this one. Like you said, I had pegged the wrong guy several times.
I wonder how much Patterson writes himself. Or does he only come up with a storyline?

4AMNTN
19-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Brouwer ! Yes I thought wow I figured this out -- haha! It one of the better books I've read in awhile

Style
20-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Ballistic - Mark Greaney

Meg
20-06-2016, 02:48 PM
'After You' is read for book club. Another that I think will be highly over-rated.
'Talk of the Town' is read for another book club. A light 'chick lit' type book. Was just alright.
Reading 'A Land Remembered' right now for next month's book club. I'm enjoying this one immensely. This is from Amazon...."A Land Remembered has been ranked #1 Best Florida Book eight times in annual polls conducted by Florida Monthly Magazine.
In this best-selling novel, Patrick Smith tells the story of three generations of the MacIveys, a Florida family who battle the hardships of the frontier to rise from a dirt-poor Cracker life to the wealth and standing of real estate tycoons. The story opens in 1858, when Tobias MacIvey arrives in the Florida wilderness to start a new life with his wife and infant son, and ends two generations later in 1968 with Solomon MacIvey, who realizes that the land has been exploited far beyond human need. The sweeping story that emerges is a rich, rugged Florida history featuring a memorable cast of crusty, indomitable Crackers battling wild animals, rustlers, Confederate deserters, mosquitoes, starvation, hurricanes, and freezes to carve a kingdom out of the swamp. But their most formidable adversary turns out to be greed, including finally their own. Love and tenderness are here too: the hopes and passions of each new generation, friendships with the persecuted blacks and Indians, and respect for the land and its wildlife.

A Land Remembered was winner of the Florida Historical Society's Tebeau Prize as the Most Outstanding Florida Historical Novel. Now in its 14th hardcover printing, it has been in print since 1984 and is also available in trade paperback."

momckee
21-06-2016, 04:22 AM
Am reading a book called Hammerhead Six (I think that's the title) - anyway it's about Green Beret special forces shipped into Afghanistan to sort out the bad guys - lots of books about that but nothing much changes or so it seems to me.

4AMNTN
23-06-2016, 01:31 AM
Hammerhead ? Sounds shark-ish!

momckee
23-06-2016, 03:10 AM
Good one 4A, didn't carry on with it, got a bit bogged down about who was doing what. Now have started Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter.

4AMNTN
23-06-2016, 06:33 PM
I've just started the new book from Brad Meltzer : House of Secrets

momckee
23-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Have realized I've read this one before but memory being what it is I don't know the outcome, could save myself a lot of money on books on re-reading old ones that I can't remember. :lol:

Meg
23-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Have realized I've read this one before but memory being what it is I don't know the outcome, could save myself a lot of money on books on re-reading old ones that I can't remember. :lol:

Very funny Mo. I usually try to get my books at the library since I read them & then generally forget them! And if they change the cover I think it's a whole new book until I start reading...and then SOME things seem very familiar :lol:

momckee
24-06-2016, 01:49 AM
Yes, Meg, the story does seem familiar and is becoming more so as I read further on, really two very weird sisters, I wonder how authors come up with all this kind of stuff. But then Karin Slaughter does write stuff that gets a bit gory.

Katie
26-06-2016, 08:42 PM
I'm finally getting Michael Connelly's THE CROSSING read. Always enjoy Connelly.

And I can't remember if I posted about this, but Margot Harrison's THE KILLER IN ME comes out July 12th. It's a YA psychological thriller, but I think adults will like it just as much. I thought it was quite good.

4AMNTN
26-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Mo I love Karin slaughter's Will Trent series. Haven't read any other
Hi Katie! Glad to see u post.

momckee
27-06-2016, 03:51 AM
Katie, hubby tried reading The Crossing and couldn't seem to get into it, his reading tastes are quite different from mine although I got him a book from Amazon written by Roald Dahl, I think it's maybe a humorous take on farm life. Hubby seems to be enjoying it.

4A, haven't read any Will Trent books by Slaughter, will keep a lookout for them.

4AMNTN
06-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Sorry about that. Posted on wrong board. Reading The Games a PRIVATE series by James Patterson. Then MERCY by Michael Palmer - well, his son.
Mo, another Will Trent comes out on 9/20 "The Kept Woman" by Karin Slaughter

My next few to read: Iris Johansen Day & Night --- James Patterson Bullseye (Michael Bennet) 8/1 --- Chase 8/2 ---
September: The Kept Woman (Will Trent) 9/20 --- Tom Lowe's A Murder of Crows summer 2016? ---
October: John Sanford Escape Clause (that Fu*k*n Flowers) 10/4 --- Tess Gerritsen Playing with Fire 10/2016
November: The Bone Collection, Kathy Reichs: 11/1 --- Cross The Line, James Patterson: 11/1 --- LEE CHILD, NIGHT SCHOOL: 11/7!!! --- Odessa Sea, Clive Cussler: 11/15 --- Chaos, Patricia Cornwell: 11/15 TURBO23, Janet Evanovich, 11/15

Meg
06-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Reading 'The Bones will Speak' by Carrie Stuart Parks for book club at church. Very good story about a forensic artist in Montana with a serial killer that seems to targeting her for a score to settle. Fast paced with just a few references to the 1st book of the series which I haven't read. Enough of the back story so that I don't feel completely lost.

4AMNTN
06-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Sounds good Meg!

momckee
07-07-2016, 02:35 AM
Cold Fear,Rick Mofina
Just finished reading this spine tingling mystery thriller. Mother, father, ten year old daughter and dog, travel to Montana on vacation. They are city dwellers with no experience of being in the wild. Mother has psychological problem which she feels she can put to rest by travelling back to Montana where she lived as a child. Husband knows she has a problem but is not informed of the real reason. They hike into the wild for miles after leaving their car and set up camp. The wife has fits of needing to be alone and she and husband often have loud disagreements leading their daughter to believe that they have come on this vacation to announce that they are going to get a divorce. The wife goes on short walks just to get away to be with her thoughts, husband chops wood for the fire while getting fed up with the situation, daughter distracts him, he swings for the log with his axe and misses, giving himself a bad cut on his hand, he yells at the daughter while brandishing the axe, she gets frightened and upset and runs off into the forest with her dog following. She gets lost and from there the story takes off. After noticing her missing both parents thinking the other was looking after her they realize they have to get help. Many agencies get involved in the hunt for the the little girl and the plot gets more and more entangled. It does challenge the bounds of credibility but pulls you in as different clues pop up and for me it was a thrilling read. If you enjoy exciting mysteries then I would recommend this one.

4AMNTN
07-07-2016, 05:29 PM
wow - sounds intense Mo.

Deanie
07-07-2016, 06:03 PM
I read Rick Mofina but must have missed this one. It doesn't sound familiar. Thanks, Mo.

momckee
08-07-2016, 02:19 AM
I read Rick Mofina but must have missed this one. It doesn't sound familiar. Thanks, Mo.

You're welcome, hope you enjoy it. :)

4AMNTN
09-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Reading The Games by James Patterson & I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be good, already at 43%. The last book I read took two weeks -- I just struggled through it. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the author, what happened?

4AMNTN
11-07-2016, 01:30 AM
Wow off to a good start with Mercy

Meg
11-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Reading 'Black Cloud' by Eliot Kleinberg. It's about the 1928 hurricane that hit FL & killed about 3,000 people.

momckee
12-07-2016, 12:33 AM
Hope one never comes your way again that is severe like that one Meg!

Deanie
12-07-2016, 07:15 PM
I'm reading the latest in the Joe DeMarco series by Mike Lawson, House Revenge.
Up next will be Let The Devil Out by Bill Loehfelm, which is the newest in the Maureen Coughlin series. Maureen is a rookie cop with the New Orleans PD.

Meg
12-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Hope one never comes your way again that is severe like that one Meg!

Would be fantastic if no hurricane ever makes landfall again, but that's just wishful thinking! Learning that yes, it was a powerful storm, but the warnings went out pretty late & many of those who died were poor & black out by Lake Okeechobee. Tidal surge from there drowned so many.

momckee
13-07-2016, 04:06 AM
Didn't know the history behind the story Meg, sounds dreadful. :(

Meg
13-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Interesting but yeah horrible....but those who know history are doomed to repeat it? Or so I've heard...seems sometimes like not much progress has been made in society

momckee
14-07-2016, 04:02 AM
Going by the news in the last couple of weeks society is heading in the wrong direction.

Meg
14-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Been headed in the wrong direction for a very long time, imo.

4AMNTN
14-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Reading: a JT Ellison book Lt. Jackson series. It's the LT. from the Nashville area. Fun because I KNOW this area. But this book ... IS IT A PREQUEL??? We already KNOW Baldwin, AND Sam lives in DC right? What's going on with this??? See this is the problem with Kindle. I don't know the NAME of my book. :idunno:

Meg
14-07-2016, 05:11 PM
4A...on my kindle if I push the button that pulls up the 'settings' it gives me the title of the book at the top. Not sure which kindle version you have.
I just got a freebie called 'Gone Bad' by J.B. Turner...says it's good for fans of Lee Child, Vince Flynn & Brad Thor. Anyone read any of his stuff? Sounded interesting & I figured I wasn't out any $$ so why not!?

Deanie
14-07-2016, 06:51 PM
I have a kindle paperwhite and when I tap gently at the top of the screen the "settings" appear including the title of the book I'm reading.

Haven't heard of J.B. Turner, Meg. If the book is good let me know. I'll check him out.

4AMNTN
14-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Hey y'all I have a paperwhite too thanks for the tip!!
After searching that book Field of Graves it is a how it all started book. Or prequel.

4AMNTN
20-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Last Call, a Jacquline (Jack) Daniels character/ J.A. Konrath book.

Meg
20-07-2016, 05:17 PM
I liked that series of books & got most of them for free. They can be kinda graphic & I wouldn't have my mom read them because she's pretty squeamish about that stuff.

Deanie
20-07-2016, 06:22 PM
I liked the Jack Daniels series also, Meg.

Another series I like is by Ace Atkins, featuring Quinn Colson. I'm now reading the newest "The Innocents."

4AMNTN
21-07-2016, 01:20 AM
Yep I think they're very graphic. The author stated people were writing telling him their thoughts on that very thing & he said " it's ur imagination that brings u to that conclusion ". I'm not at all violent .
Whaaaaaat. BS! But I like the series, so I'll finish this out.

Meg
25-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Reading 'The Devil in the White City' for book club. Not sure if I'm going to like this one. A lot of info about the architecture and the lead up to the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. Wondering when it's going to get to the serial killer that was in that city at the time.

4AMNTN
26-07-2016, 03:46 PM
:)

Deanie
26-07-2016, 07:35 PM
I'm reading the second book in Donna Ball's Dogleg Island Mystery series, The Sound Of Running Horses. This series features Aggie Malone, police chief of Dogleg Island, Deputy Sheriff Ryan Grady, and Flash, their precocious and uncannily perceptive border collie.
Book #1 is Flash.
I thoroughly enjoy mysteries with humans and dogs if the stories are well written and Donna Ball's are.

Dan M.
26-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Currently reading THE LAST STAND by Nathaniel Philbrick (also wrote THE HEART OF THE SEA on which the movie was based). It's about the Little Bighorn massacre of Custer and his five battalions by the Sioux and Cheyenne. I was at the battlefield recently for the first time and wanted to read this book while it was all still fresh in my mind. I've read bunches of other books (fiction and non) about the battle so there's not a lot of new ground being covered, but I'm enjoying it nevertheless.

Meg
27-07-2016, 01:39 PM
It's been about 12 years since I've been to Little Bighorn. Haven't read anything about it.

Style
27-07-2016, 02:34 PM
In Cold Blood - Mark Dawson (Beatrix Rose = protagonist)

Deanie
27-07-2016, 06:45 PM
Style, FYI, a new Tom Wood's 8/2/16 - "A Time To Die" and a new Mark Dawson 8/23/16 - "The Asset: Act 11"

Oh, wait. You're reading the first book in the Beatrix Rose series. "The Asset" is the second book in her daughter's (Isabella Rose) series. The first is "The Angel: Act 1." You probably don't want to read them until you finish the Beatrix Rose series. That is - if you're liking it well enough to continue.

Okay, Mark Dawson's latest John Milton came out 5/15/16 - "The Jungle."

There. Have I confused you enough? :confused:

Style
28-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Style, FYI, a new Tom Wood's 8/2/16 - "A Time To Die" and a new Mark Dawson 8/23/16 - "The Asset: Act 11"

Oh, wait. You're reading the first book in the Beatrix Rose series. "The Asset" is the second book in her daughter's (Isabella Rose) series. The first is "The Angel: Act 1." You probably don't want to read them until you finish the Beatrix Rose series. That is - if you're liking it well enough to continue.

Okay, Mark Dawson's latest John Milton came out 5/15/16 - "The Jungle."

There. Have I confused you enough? :confused:

Got it! I think. Thx.

Brouwer
31-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Finished "Italienska Skor" by Henning Mankell during my holiday on the Greek island of Cos. Followed by "Munsters Fall" by Hakan Nesser, also Swedish like Mankell.
Isn't that the best: reading on the beach? Now reading "The Ice Twins" by S.K. Tremayne.

Meg
01-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Finished "Italienska Skor" by Henning Mankell during my holiday on the Greek island of Cos. Followed by "Munsters Fall" by Hakan Nesser, also Swedish like Mankell.
Isn't that the best: reading on the beach? Now reading "The Ice Twins" by S.K. Tremayne.

I read "The Ice Twins" last year....it was different & just ok imo.

4AMNTN
02-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Today a new Michael Bennett comes out! (James Patterson)

Gismo
02-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Today a new Michael Bennett comes out! (James Patterson)

Nice

Brouwer
07-08-2016, 09:44 PM
I read "The Ice Twins" last year....it was different & just ok imo.

Yes, it was different, but I loved the scenery. I've visited Scotland several times and it is never a disappointment.
Now reading "Svarta Lögner, Rött Blod" (Black Lies, Red Blood) by Kjell Eriksson.

4AMNTN
10-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Im starting the Michael Bennet book from James Patterson tonight. Bullseye.

momckee
12-08-2016, 02:34 AM
Just finished The Spectator Bird by Wallace Stegner, have read another of his books, Crossing to Safety, really enjoy his writing.

Style
12-08-2016, 01:31 PM
Back Blast by Mark Greaney. I like this series with Court Gentry as the Gray Man (protagonist).

4AMNTN
12-08-2016, 03:13 PM
Struggling thru on chapter ??? Bullseye isn't grabbing me "off the bat" like I like my books to do. uh-oh

Dan M.
15-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Book 4 in Game of Thrones. 900+ pages. Figure by the time I finish this one and Book 5, George will be within 5 years of finishing book 6. :/

Meg
16-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Finished Fading Starlight for book club...was just alright.
Also finished Devil in the White City & skimmed through that one. Skipped all the chapters about the building for the Worlds Fair and just read the chapters about the serial killer.

Brouwer
28-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Yes, it was different, but I loved the scenery. I've visited Scotland several times and it is never a disappointment.
Now reading "Svarta Lögner, Rött Blod" (Black Lies, Red Blood) by Kjell Eriksson.

Finished "Svarta Lögner, Rött Blod". Towards the end the pace picked up, but not one of my favorites.
Now: "Glassdukkene" (The Glass Dolls) by Jorun Thørring.

Meg
31-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Finished 'A Cry in the Dust' by Carrie Stuart Parks and 'When Night Comes' by Dan Walsh.
Reading 'The Little Paris Bookshop' by Nina George now for book club. Decent but pretty slow moving book.

momckee
03-09-2016, 04:56 AM
Am reading A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny, a Canadian author, and it's so good, as are all her mysteries, that I could hardly put it down to come upstairs to go to bed. The setting is a fictional village in Quebec called Three Pines, named after the three huge pine trees in the village, and the main character is Armand Gamache, former head of the Quebec Surete (police), and he has come out of semi-retirement to head up the Surete Academy. His aim is to root out the corruption caused by the former head and set the new recruits on the right path. He hires back the former head who was the main corrupter with the idea that he could maybe get enough evidence to have him criminally charged. However someone solves the immediate problem by murdering him.........I've read many of Louise Penny's mysteries and she is an excellent writer. I just wish I knew how to put in the required accents (circumflex and acute) to make the word Surete look French. So much I don't know about computers. :(

4AMNTN
06-09-2016, 05:01 PM
No No! The Will Trent book doesn't come out until 9-20 :(

Dan M.
07-09-2016, 11:53 PM
300+ pages into Book 5 of A Game of Thrones - A Dance With Dragons. Winter is still allegedly coming. :winter: Still waiting for some large scale dragon action too.

4AMNTN
07-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Dan I've never read those, or watched the movies. Would lose big time in any trivia

Dan M.
08-09-2016, 11:25 PM
Dan I've never read those, or watched the movies.

I haven't watched any of the series. From what I've seen of pictures that pop up here and there on line, I like my mental versions of the characters better in every case, except for Peter Dinklage, the dwarf who plays Tyrion Lannister. You might remember him as Miles Finch in the movie Elf. Anyway, I'm enjoying the books, but it's interesting (not always in a good way) to watch how GRRM has evolved in style over the years since the very first book in 1996. For instance, there is a lot more usage of objectionable language in this last book that I don't remember in the first two or three books. More cliff hanger endings to chapters, which are based on a character's POV. He has something like 18 POVs in this book, so it can be quite a while before you get back around to finding out what happens next with that character. I'm not fond of that either. Sometimes I forget what was going on with some of them, and it's kind of a pain on the Kindle to go back and look.

4AMNTN
09-09-2016, 02:09 AM
Mind blown ~~ ppfffft. Wha??!!

Gismo
09-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Now onto the 8th book in the series of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp, Consent To Kill

Style
09-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Now onto the 8th book in the series of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp, Consent To Kill

:thumbsup::clap::thumbsup:

Style
09-09-2016, 03:51 PM
Now reading The Angel by Mark Dawson. This book is part of a series in which the 15 yr old daughter of an assassin is becoming an assassin...

This author's works include a series featuring John Milton, a disgruntled British assassin. He also has a series featuring Beatrix Rose, another disgruntled British assassin. The series I am now reading features Isabella Rose, Beatrix daughter.

Dan M.
09-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Mind blown ~~ ppfffft. Wha??!!

They're all 3rd person POVs, but still...

4AMNTN
20-09-2016, 04:07 PM
Woo-Hoo! What a nice surprise, a NEW Myron & Win book out from Harlan Coben "Home". AND! A Kept Woman by Karin Slaughter, a Will Trent book! Gonna get on that today!

Style
20-09-2016, 06:29 PM
That's awesome 4A! Love me some Myron/Win...

Deanie
20-09-2016, 07:19 PM
So do I; love Myron & Win. I have "Home" on my list To Read, but didn't realize it came out today - until I took a gander at my list after seeing 4A's post. So, thanks 4A....Excuse me while I order it to my Kindle....There. Done.

Style, I have another author for you to check out. Chris Holm. Protagonist is Michael Hendricks. I think you'd like him. First book is "The Killing Kind." Second one is "Red Right Hand," which came out 9/13/16.

YB
20-09-2016, 07:25 PM
I also am looking forward to meeting Myron again soon, not sure when the book appears in the UK

4AMNTN
20-09-2016, 07:28 PM
YB it came out like? July 16th??? I was thrown by that more than once. Check & see tho[emoji433]

4AMNTN
20-09-2016, 07:30 PM
My fav book with Myron & Win is the one when Myron plays b ball again.
And my fav line is the last exchange in that book!!! Priceless!

YB
20-09-2016, 07:35 PM
I have just found out it's September 22nd in the UK

4AMNTN
20-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Oh here we go: Back Spin:
It was a sweltering morning in Tucson, Arizona. A big man opened his front door. "Are you Bert Wesson"? The big man nodded. "Can I help you with something". Win smiled. "Yes", he said. "I think you can".

Style
20-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Style, I have another author for you to check out. Chris Holm. Protagonist is Michael Hendricks. I think you'd like him. First book is "The Killing Kind." Second one is "Red Right Hand," which came out 9/13/16.

Thanks Boss!

Meg
21-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Reading Song of Silence by Cynthia Ruchti for book club. Only so-so...I sometimes forget what happened at the end of the previous chapter.

YB
23-09-2016, 01:41 PM
I will be collecting Out of Bounds, the latest from Val McDermid, from the library later today

4AMNTN
23-09-2016, 03:17 PM
A Kept Woman, Karin Slaughter ...

Brouwer
25-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Finished "Svarta Lögner, Rött Blod". Towards the end the pace picked up, but not one of my favorites.
Now: "Glassdukkene" (The Glass Dolls) by Jorun Thørring.

Enjoyed Jorun Thørring's "The Glass Dolls", so now starting in Ildens øye (The Eye of the Fire) also by Thørring. (I discovered on Wiki that she combines a career as a gynaecologist with writing!)

4AMNTN
26-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Started HOME by Harlan Coben, thank goodness for a Myron & Win book. So far ?ok. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER !!! The Will Trent book was good. I know we needed the Angie back story, but I could have gone with a lot less & more Will & Faith.

momckee
26-09-2016, 04:52 PM
A Kept Woman, Karin Slaughter ...

I just downloaded this to my Kindle yesterday.

YB
29-09-2016, 03:58 PM
I will be collecting Out of Bounds, the latest from Val McDermid, from the library later today

Finished it - very good

4AMNTN
29-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Finished HOME. I was glad the "duo" was back. But their interests are different. And since I didn't read any Mickey stories, I kinda missed out on something, I think. Harlan Coben needs to do a back story or too!

momckee
30-09-2016, 12:54 AM
Just finished Karen Slaughter's new book, The Kept Woman, corruption, criminality, romance in doubt, murders, a bit of everything, she doesn't pull any punches. Not sure whether I enjoyed it or not, found it a bit gory in parts.

4AMNTN
30-09-2016, 04:26 PM
I guess Angie Trent is a whole lotta bad girl. (more than we thought)

momckee
30-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Yes, she was quite a mixture of really bad behaviour and then the maternal streak. Now reading Prisoner of War, WWII naval story by Peter McCutchan.

YB
30-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Black Ops by Stephen Leather

momckee
01-10-2016, 04:45 AM
Haven't read any of Stephen Leather for a while, is this fairly new YB?

YB
01-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Hi Mo. Black Ops is his 2015 book. There is a newer one featuring Spider Shepherd.

It is quite a while since I read a Stephen Leather. He has written lots going back over 20 years. There are two other series in addition to the Shepherd one.

momckee
01-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Thanks YB - I probably haven't read the 2015 book.

Gismo
03-10-2016, 03:05 AM
Started on Ty Pattersons, Flay

Meg
03-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Finished Song of Silence...so-so
Eve by WM Paul Young...no good IMO

Just started Taking Tuscany.

4AMNTN
07-10-2016, 03:48 PM
If anyone reads John Sandford the Davenport series ... Escape Clause is Virgil "that fu@&ing Flowers" out as of October 4th. I'll download later today!

YB
07-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Just starting The Trespasser by Tana French

4AMNTN
08-10-2016, 06:49 PM
I rechecked & Escape Clause comes out later this month. I guess that's what happens when you check these things six months in advance they change.

Style
10-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Black Widow - Daniel Silva

Meg
11-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Just finished Taking Tuscany and starting The Infiltrator next.

4AMNTN
11-10-2016, 03:18 PM
upcoming: Murder of Crows:Tom Lowe, Escape Clause:John Sanford, Playing with Fire:Tess Gerritsen, The Bone Collection:Kathy Reichs, that's just this month!

momckee
11-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Sounds good!

Deanie
12-10-2016, 06:00 PM
4A, I read the Sean O'Brien series by Tom Lowe. Amazon isn't showing that he has a new book coming out. Where did you see it?

I'm reading Strong Cold Dead by Jon Land now. It was released the 4th of this month and continues the saga of Texas Ranger Caitlin Strong.
Also on this month's list to read are John Sandford, David Rosenfelt, Robert Bryndza, Jojo Moyes, Gregg Hurwitz, and Tana French.

4AMNTN
12-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Deanie, I'll look again. It's been since May? maybe. And even then it said "summer 2016". Nothing specific. Let me check ...

Does anyone read Victor Methos? Jon Stanton's the character.

Meg
12-10-2016, 09:01 PM
upcoming: Murder of Crows:Tom Lowe, Escape Clause:John Sanford, Playing with Fire:Tess Gerritsen, The Bone Collection:Kathy Reichs, that's just this month!

Since I was skimming this I read the 1st book as Murder of Clowns...which seems appropriate with the creepy clowns popping in different cities!

4AMNTN
12-10-2016, 10:03 PM
I just checked Tom Lowe's website & it says Murder of Crows was pushed back to October .... but when?!

4AMNTN
12-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Meg I never watched IT but it's the first thing I thought of when this started. Now I hear there is a remake of that movie coming out?

momckee
13-10-2016, 04:34 AM
The Waiting Island, Anthea Fraser, a paranormal mystery set on the Isle of Man, off the coast of England in the Irish Sea. Chloe was hypnotized as a young woman and the hypnotist was unable to bring her out of the trance, she spent three days unconscious in the hospital. Years later she is visiting her brother and his wife on the Isle of Man where she develops precognition and she dreams of past historical events on the island, and finds she is connected mentally to the nephew of the man who hypnotized her. It's spooky and creepy but it has me having trouble putting it down. I have read a mystery by Anthea Fraser before and I liked her writing so I happened on this book not realizing it was a paranormal one, not my usual choice of a read but it has me hooked.

Meg
13-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Meg I never watched IT but it's the first thing I thought of when this started. Now I hear there is a remake of that movie coming out?

I saw that movie...disliked clowns before the movie....hated them after. And last night I saw the PD where I live posted that there have been 5 creepy clown sightings in the last 30 days!

Meg
13-10-2016, 01:32 PM
The Waiting Island, Anthea Fraser, a paranormal mystery set on the Isle of Man, off the coast of England in the Irish Sea. Chloe was hypnotized as a young woman and the hypnotist was unable to bring her out of the trance, she spent three days unconscious in the hospital. Years later she is visiting her brother and his wife on the Isle of Man where she develops precognition and she dreams of past historical events on the island, and finds she is connected mentally to the nephew of the man who hypnotized her. It's spooky and creepy but it has me having trouble putting it down. I have read a mystery by Anthea Fraser before and I liked her writing so I happened on this book not realizing it was a paranormal one, not my usual choice of a read but it has me hooked.

Sounds interesting even though, like you, that's not my usual choice of a read. Will look for it at the library.

4AMNTN
13-10-2016, 03:12 PM
sounds creepy Mo. Not creepy bad but goosebumps.

YB
17-10-2016, 04:37 PM
I have finished the Tana French book. It was OK but dragged a little. 462 pages, the story could have been told in 300.

Next up is Harlan Coben and Home. It will be good to renew my acquaintance with Myron. It's five years since the last one

momckee
17-10-2016, 04:49 PM
YB - I like Harlan Coben's writing. Not so much a fan of Tana French - have read a couple of her books, the last one, which title I can't remember, I didn't care for but will probably give her another go. Great that you're back on the forum.

4AMNTN
17-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Hope u enjoy YB. I really like the Myron Win friendship.
As stated before I wish Coben would do a few flashback books on those two.

Meg
17-10-2016, 06:46 PM
I have finished the Tana French book. It was OK but dragged a little. 462 pages, the story could have been told in 300.

Next up is Harlan Coben and Home. It will be good to renew my acquaintance with Myron. It's five years since the last one

I think I only read one of her books...possibly In The Woods...and it dragged. Not a fan & not sure if I'll read another of hers.

YB
17-10-2016, 07:08 PM
In the Woods was her first one, I thought it OK. The next one was The Likeness which I thought very good. After that they are all no better than OK. They haven't cost me anything as I have had them from the library

momckee
17-10-2016, 07:22 PM
:thumbsup: Best way to read books if you read the paper books.

Style
17-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Like YB, reading Home by Harlan Coben.

Interesting contrast - after finishing a Daniel Silva/Gabriel Allon book (Black Widow) which I find highly intellectual and serious and going to Coben with the more whimsical and lovable Myron and Win. Absolutely love both authors and their characters in totally different ways.

4AMNTN
18-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Has anyone read Demolition Angel by Crais? It's the first of the series with the bomb tech from the Cole & Pike series. ??

Meg
18-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Has anyone read Demolition Angel by Crais? It's the first of the series with the bomb tech from the Cole & Pike series. ??

I've read that one....a standalone. I remember liking the book, but didn't think it was his best.

- - - Updated - - -

In the Woods was her first one, I thought it OK. The next one was The Likeness which I thought very good. After that they are all no better than OK. They haven't cost me anything as I have had them from the library

The library or free on kindle is the way I get most of my books. Or used at thrift stores. Very few I buy new otherwise I would be broke!

YB
18-10-2016, 04:19 PM

Yes I read this, seems like a long time ago now. I can't remember too much about it but think it was OK

- - - Updated - - -

The library or free on kindle is the way I get most of my books. Or used at thrift stores. Very few I buy new otherwise I would be broke![/QUOTE]

Me too. The only book I pay top dollar for is the annual Lee Child. Here in the UK we have a group of stores called The Works that sell three for 5 pounds, I like looking in those.

Deanie
18-10-2016, 06:31 PM
I read Demolition Angel, but can't remember my level of enjoyment. Too long ago. Also read Home by Harlan Coben and since it was recently I can remember that I thoroughly enjoyed it. But then, I always do enjoy Win & Myron.
Just finished Tana French's The Trespasser last night. I didn't hate it....but I didn't love it, either. The author had the lead detective, Antoinette Conway, spending way too much time in the murdered person's mind and in her own...which probably doesn't make sense unless you've read the book. And maybe not then. :reading:

YB
21-10-2016, 04:39 PM
I have finished Harlan Coben's "Home". Good to get together with Myron and Win again, although I don't think it was as good as some of the earlier ones.

Starting Cold Earth by Ann Cleeve now

Brouwer
23-10-2016, 10:38 PM
Just finished Jorun Thørring's Ildens øye (The Eye of the Fire). Started in Skyggemannen by the same writer. (I don't know the English title)

Oh,...and reserved my copy of Nightschool, to be delivered somewhere in November.

4AMNTN
26-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Oh! I'm reading Escape Clause with that Fu€¥*ng Flowers ha!
I read Demolition Angel: Crais - it was alright. Took over a week or so ( not a good sign usually )

Deanie
26-10-2016, 06:04 PM
I'm reading "Livia Lone" by Barry Eisler, which came out yesterday. It's looking good thus far. Livia Lone is a detective with the Seattle Police Department. You'd like her, Style......Barry Eisler writes the John Rain series and there will be a new Rain out next year.

Recently read "Dark Water" by Robert Bryndza featuring DCI Erika Foster, "Escape Clause" by John Sandford featuring Virgil Flowers, and Twelve Dogs of Christmas by David Rosenfelt, which is the latest in his Andy Carpenter series. Enjoyed 'em all.

Style
27-10-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm reading "Livia Lone" by Barry Eisler, which came out yesterday. It's looking good thus far. Livia Lone is a detective with the Seattle Police Department. You'd like her, Style......Barry Eisler writes the John Rain series and there will be a new Rain out next year.

Wrote it down! Thx

Deanie
27-10-2016, 06:34 PM
I finished "Livia Lone" last night. On second thought, I don't know as I'd recommend it. Very dark subject matter. The main character is a kick-ass take no prisoners kinda person, but she has a way lot of baggage she carries around. She is a detective with the SPD in the Sex Crimes Unit. Everything she does stems from what happened to her in her childhood. She was born in Thailand. Sometimes her inner 'conflicting' gets too heavy.

I had insomnia last night so after I finished "Livia Lone" I read a debut by Bruce Robert Coffin, "Among The Shadows." It featured Jon Bryon, a Portland, Maine, Detective Sergeant. It was a fairly good read. The author was a detective sergeant with the Portland, Maine, police department. He retired in 2012 after more than 27 years in law enforcement.

momckee
27-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Among the Shadows sounds good Deanie.

Deanie
27-10-2016, 09:51 PM
It was pretty good. Someone is killing former cops. DS Bryon has to figure out who and why and try to keep the inept bosses off his back and out of his hair while he does it.

4AMNTN
29-10-2016, 02:41 AM
Just finished Escape Clause. It was good. Had several laugh out loud moments too.

YB
01-11-2016, 10:41 AM
I've finished Cold Earth. It was good, a bit slow in getting going but worth it in the end.

Next up for me is The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. not sure what to expect of this one but the publicity blurb says it is good for fans of Gone Girl, which I liked.

Anyone on here read The Girl on the Train?

4AMNTN
01-11-2016, 03:19 PM
YB no, I haven't but I did see Gone Gone (didn't read). It WAS good. Maybe I'll look into this! And HELLO! nice to see you post, hope you're well.

YB
01-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Fine, thank you 4A, although it is rapidly coming around to my least favorite time of year - dark nights, fog, rain, cold etc. I'm definitely a summer person

Meg
02-11-2016, 01:35 PM
YB, I didn't like either of those books as much as all the hype led me to believe...I guessed the outcome of Girl on the Train.