Refugees to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refugees to Canada

Our two neighbouring churches with some extra financial assistance have sponsored a Syrian refugee family who are now here, 17 of them. They are being housed and clothed and generally being well looked after. One member of our congregation brings us weekly updates - she said they are all glad to be here and most of them speak English and are pleasant people and if we should have the opportunity to meet with them we must remember to not try to shake hands with the male members if we are female and not touch them in any way! Now this really sticks in my craw as it is again putting the female in the subordinate position of abiding by their cultural practices from their own country, multiply that by the amount of refugees Canada is bringing in and we have a whole other segment of men who believe women are inferior beings. Females are, however, allowded to speak to the men. Actually it makes me quite angry that Sharia law will begin to creep in insidiously. I am all for helping people who have been bombed out of their homes being helped to begin life anew but for heaven's sake lets have some equality with regard to cultural practices, unless of course the touch of a strange female arouses their male hormones (I hardly think so).

Would appreciate any opinions, maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.

Retraction - Just read up on the handshaking custom on Google and there is a long answer as to why Muslim men do not shake hands with females to whom they are not related, so maybe it's such a deeply cultural practice it has not much to do with any Western understanding of accepted politeness. So I may have gone off on a tangent about a very old cultural tradition. It still has its basis in gender but not really in any modern sense, so I have to cancel my rant in believing it was a put down of females in general.

Comment

No no Mo. I totally agree with you !! Sharia Law is nothing I want in our country. And we don't need MORE people living off our government. People abuse that enough as it is![emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

According to talktoislam.com
        It is important to point out that Muslims do not distinguish in this matter between Muslim and non-Muslim people, and the issue is the same for Muslim women as it is for men. Shaking hands is something normal in Islam, for Muslims and non-Muslims, but Islam prohibits non-essential touching and physical contact with a person of the opposite gender, with the exception of certain immediate family members, as a sign of modesty, humility and chastity. In addition, it is a form of respect towards the other person by acknowledging no one has the right to touch them except for their nearest and dearest.

...I find it odd that a Muslim man won't shake my hand but seems to have no problem checking me (& all the other women at the beach) out in our bathing suits...or even when I'm wearing a dress for work...how is ogling a woman ok but shaking a hand is not? I believe it's thoughts that count, not just outward appearances. Someone can have all the outward appearances of being 'religious' 'modest' 'humble' or 'chaste' but if that's not truly what they have in their heart than it's not true modesty, humility, or chastity.

Comment

Spot on, Meg. It's o.k. for the Muslim men to ogle but the women have to behave themselves and keep themselves intact for their men folk. I just wish the women would rebel and do what they want to do rather than be under the thumb of the males, but then I imagine they might end on the wrong side of a fist.!

Comment

Funny Mo! I agree! I can't believe in 2016 there are women that WANT to & that ARE treated this way.
            As for the refugees - how many times do we see a family? anyone over 50? a woman ? Children??? Almost always is it young men ....

Comment

....Or they might end up dead. But then - according to articles I've read - there are other countries/nationalities that have no respect for women and treat them terrible.

Comment

I'm sure there are Deanie, lots of places where women are treated badly and we don't need to go too far afield when there are lots of reports of domestic abuse on this continent and the murders of aboriginal women from the reserves. It seems to be an age-old problem.

Comment

Refugees to Canada

Yep. When someone starts with the race card I tell them up front DONT GO THERE!!!! Women have been treated badly for centuries!! Let's talk about that- they usually don't want to & to be honest they can't make an argument .
                  Did you know that in an area of Asia? (as late as 1900's) if your husband dies they go ahead and kill you too because you don't have a reason for being anymore?? So if the man in the relationship dies.... Ur worthless? [emoji35][emoji36][emoji32]I read that last year - in more than one article.

Comment

Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
                    ...Did you know that in an area of Asia? (as late as 1900's) if your husband dies they go ahead and kill you too because you don't have a reason for being anymore?? So if the man in the relationship dies.... Ur worthless? [emoji35][emoji36][emoji32]I read that last year - in more than one article.

And you disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by Style View Post
                      And you disagree?
                      Surely you jest!

Comment

Originally posted by momckee View Post
                        Surely you jest!
                        Tee Hee.

Comment

Originally posted by momckee View Post
                          Spot on, Meg. It's o.k. for the Muslim men to ogle but the women have to behave themselves and keep themselves intact for their men folk. I just wish the women would rebel and do what they want to do rather than be under the thumb of the males, but then I imagine they might end on the wrong side of a fist.!
                          I saw the 2 Muslim men that I was talking to at the beach (they wouldn't shake my hand, but shook the hands of the men I was with at the time) walk into the movie The Hangover...never seen it, but from what I gather it's not the most modest or chaste movie made.

Comment

What's the old adage 'men will be men'!

Comment

This Orlando shooting .. needless to say is awful. I hate with a capital H that our President says it was a "last minute" and "inspired" action. Do you know of the restrictions, the "dance around" that we in the US do for EVERYONE in this country? We don't want to offend, we don't want to condemn anyone beliefs ...BUT you let some dumb *redneck (SC shooter) take a picture with a Confederate flag in the background & we're TAKING DOWN STATE FLAGS, TAKING OUT MONUMENTS TO BATTLEGROUNDS OF OUR COUNTRY'S HISTORY, CONDEMNING THE HISTORY OF THE US. What about OUR beliefs, what about us as Southerns being offended? What about the men & women who died in this country that deserve our respect & for us to remember their sacrifice???? It's Hermitage NOT Hate. History NOT Hate -- learn from it, DO NOT CHANGE IT! And our President says it's a "righteous step". I am so sick of the "squeaky wheel getting the oil" in this country. The abuse of our government funds, our borders, and come people *#%@!!! ok that's all, thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X