No announcement yet.

Currently Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have watched all the Harry Potter films many times but never read any of the books until now.
    Just started into the 1st book, will see how it goes
    I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

• OH! funny -- my sister said I should have started those....
      I need to get the latest Janet Evanovich PLUM series downloaded .... been forever

Comment

• I've not read any Harry Potter, nor have I seen any of the films.

Comment

• I read all the Harry Potter books and they were surpisingly good and they got better as the series went on. Big twist at the end that I did not see coming which made me want to go back and read them again, but I didn't because they are so long.
          sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

• Comment

• Downloaded the last Janet Evanovich book - PLUM series .... listened to a few chapters

Comment

• Currently reading Blind Your Ponies by Stanley Gordon West. Very small town life in Montana centered around a high school basketball coach and his struggle to cope with past loss in his life and also trying to get his perpetually winless, undermanned team to win a game or two. It's a longer book than one might think, and I'm at what I assume would be the big game of the season, the one they want to win the most, and i'm only half way through the book. Not sure where the book will go after this game. There are a number of story lines going besides the team though, so we'll see. It's a much better book than it sounds like.

Comment

• that's different -- different IS good! Let us know - ok!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4AMNTN View Post
                    that's different -- different IS good! Let us know - ok!
                    Finished it over the weekend. Good basketball story! Seems like it would make a great movie, except it would be too similar to Hoosiers, maybe). What I thought would be the big game was a big game, but then the team ended up winning a few more games and going into the state tournament, which, being Montana, has some unique rules that offered more opportunities to balance out the disparities in the schools due to size of the student enrollments or something like that. There were some loose ends in some of the story lines, but overall I liked it a lot, plus it's based on a real school and loosely based on real events.

Comment

• It's a long time since I reported on my recent reads so here goes

Quintin Jardine - Open Season. Edinburgh retired detective Bob Skinner. Lots in the series, always good
                      Ann Cleeves - The Rising Tide. Detective Vera Stanhope, set in the north east of England. Also a TV series
                      Brian Freeman - Zero Night. Jonathan Stride, one of my favourite series
                      Richard Osman - The Bullet That Missed. This is is third book in the Thursday Murder Club series. He is also a TV Presenter , quiz/game shows
                      Sam Anthony - The Adulter's Confession. This is the second in what is becoming a lengthy series. Quite a lot of rude bits so if that kind of thing offends you then give it a miss
                      Stuart MacBride - The Dead of Winter. This man usually writes about Detective Logan Macrae, set in Aberdeen in the north of Scotland. This book is a standalone, bit gruesome in parts, bit funny in others
                      Nicholas Rhea - Constable on the Hill. Written in 1979 by a man who has written well over 100 books under around five different names. This was a long running series on which the TV programme Heartbeat was based.
                      Alex Grey - Questions for a Dead Man. Latest in a long running series featuring Detective Bill Lorimer, set in Glasgow
                      Graham Hurley - Touching Distance. Detective Jimmy Suttle, set on England's south coast. A spin off from the Faraday & Winter series in which Jimmy was a "bit part" player.

I've liked all of the above, to varying degrees. I need to read more. I have 9 paper books on my shelf, given to me by my son, plus a least 20 on Kindle and my favourite authors will all have new ones out over the next few months
                      Last edited by YB; 11-05-2023, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• Me again. Only read four books since my last report nearly six weeks ago.

I will find you - Harlan Coben. Always like his books, they never disappoint

Pure Evil - Lynda La Plante. Latest in the Jack Warr series. It's very good without being outstanding

World's End - Ed James. This features Edinburgh detective Scott Cullen. I read quite a few in this series a few years ago and the author then started a new series about a London detective, Simon Fenchurch. He's now gone back to Scott Cullen, at least temporarily, I didn't find this one as good as the ones a few years ago
                        Gone in Seconds - Ed James. This features Detective Max Carter and is set in Seattle. I've never been to Seattle so I've no idea if his descriptions of areas are accurate but he seems to have mastered the language, ie the different words and expressions that Americans use compared to British people

Comment

• Neat, thanks YB -- good to know. I haven't read a NEW book in more than 2-3 years - with the exception of Dan's book.

Comment

• It is rare that a day goes by and I don't read. However I now have a couple of short (15-20 minute) spells wheras a few years ago I probably read for a couple of hours most days

Comment

• Started on the new Stephen King book, The Outsider
                              I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

• Not read a Stephen King for a number of yrears. Don't think he's my sort of thing nowadays

Comment

Working...
                                X