No announcement yet.

Currently Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot i had started the latest Reacher book, almost finished, hmm, just going through the motion now, not brilliant, but, readable cause i'm a fan
    I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

• I'm rereading Orwell's 1984. Last time I read it was over 40 years ago. Scary how much of rings true now.
      sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

• Like most people I have heard of 1984 and Animal Farm but have never actually read either of them. One day ..... perhaps

Comment

• Am now onto A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly, it's the 7th book in the Harry Bosch series.
          I'm still reading old old books cause i didn't read for a long time, so, i'm unlikely to read a lot of new books in the near future, except the Reacher releases

Comment

• Originally posted by YB View Post
            Like most people I have heard of 1984 and Animal Farm but have never actually read either of them. One day ..... perhaps
            1984 is set in London. Does that help?

Comment

• I now have these on order with Amazon. I'll report on what I think in due course

Comment

• I'm reading three (!) books.
                - Invasion by Luke Harding (about the war in Ukraine)
                - Boys from Beloxi by John Grisham
                - Identical by Scott Turow

Comment

• 3! Busy guy! I haven't read a book except Dan's Into the Yellowstone— which is absolutely great- in several years . I listen to one every night…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Just started into a new sc-fi series from JN Chaney, 1st book is Renegade Star, there are 16 books in all, will have to see how this one goes first

Comment

• I was my birthday, yesterday...
                      original_eb0f39d8-7ef2-4fc8-90e5-6dbc54193a16_IMG_20230124_195518.jpg
                      So I guess, I don't have to buy the e-book!

Comment

• Am onto the 17th book in the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn, usually a decent read

Comment

• So you read the English language version, Brouwer? You are very clever. I know a few words of French, German, Spanish (plus one Polish word) but I couldn't hold a proper conversation in any of those. To read a 400 page book in a language other that your own is more than amazing

Comment

• Finally finished This Is Happiness by Niall Williams. What an amazing voice. It's not a mystery or thriller though, just a slow-paced coming-of-age story , with electricity coming to a very small village in County Clare in Ireland as a backdrop. It was actually a boring story, but the characters are so vividly drawn and the narrative so well done, it sucked me in. It's not a book you can read fast though, at least not for an American reader. I had to keep stopping to roll the sentences around in my head to get all the nuances and flavor out of them. Never have I seen run-on sentences so magnificently and artfully done.

Comment

• Originally posted by YB View Post
                              So you read the English language version, Brouwer? You are very clever. I know a few words of French, German, Spanish (plus one Polish word) but I couldn't hold a proper conversation in any of those. To read a 400 page book in a language other that your own is more than amazing
                              In the Netherlands we teach English in primary en secondary education, so yes. Besides, you always lose something in translation. I prefer the original version.

By the way, after thirty pages of No Plan B: feels like good, solid Jack Reacher stuff. Enjoying it!

Comment

• Glad you are enjoying No Plan B, Brouwer.

In the UK children are taught other languages in school. French is the most common but German and Spanish are occasionally. However from my experience very few leave school with more than a basic ability to speak the language and definitely not enough to read a full book. Unless these people have to use it for their job then they will have forgotten most of it by the time they are 25.

100 or so years ago an international language, Esperanto was devised. If this had been rigidly taught in all schools then there would be little language issues between countries.

Comment

Working...
                                X