No announcement yet.

Currently Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just finished a Tess Gerritsen book, spy story and love story combined, not my cup of tea, and it surprised me. I didn't think Gerritsen was a romance writer.

Comment

• Mo... before her R&I series I think she did. I've read them all, started with those actually. My favorite book written is hers The Bone Garden.

Comment

• Discovered a new author, Mike Lunnon Wood, read one book last night about a freighter in the Atlantic gets caught in a hurricane, Hurricane Fiona, just off the south coast of England. A lifeboat gets sent out from Falmouth and the action is 'on the edge of your seat' throughout the the story, the Caledonia carrying steel plates in her hold when the chains give way that are stopping the plates sliding around, when one of the plates moves and makes a hole in the hull. In the meantime, the fuel which was sloshing around because of the intense wave action, has disturbed some substances which were in the bottom of the tank, clog up the intake pipes of fuel to the engines. That stops the ship dead in the water and now at the mercy of the wave and the wind. The lifeboat battles its way to the stricken ship, also a Sea King helicopter flies out and is just about to drop the winch to rescue passengers when a serious mishap occurs to it and something shears off, the Sea King has only enough power to make it to one of the ships standing off to give assistance if possible, fortunately the ship has a helipad. Some of the passengers on the ship are school boys who are out for an educational trip, one of the boys is the son of the Prime Minister.

It has heart stopping action and the writer has so much knowledge about ships, how the Royal National Lifeboat Institution works, a great knowledge of the sea and the suspense has you captured so you just have to keep going to see how it all turns out. Marvellously exciting story. Anyone who enjoys sea stories will love this one. Title of the book is Let Not The Deep.

Comment

• Was reading another book by Mike Lunnon Wood and the story was about Guatemala invading Belize which had become a British Protectorate so when the Guatamalens invade there is only a very small contingent of the Brits there to hold off and protect their airfield against 40,000 strong Guatamalen forces. It was interesting that after I finished that book I was reading another book by a different author and the plot in this one was to do with the Fleet Air Arm, a young civil service employee in England, a protected employment, at the start of WWII decides he wants to join the navy and is directed to the Fleet Air Arm.

The connection between the two books is that the British forces in Belize are reinforced by parachutists and Harrier jets sent out from England and they land in Pensacola, Florida to refuel and get kitted out by the Americans. In the other book the young man and the other recruits are shipped off to Pensacola by troop ship for training with, I guess, the Fleet Air Arm there in 1940. So Gis, where you live must be a hub of naval and army types? I don't know if these books are both fiction, I think the WWII one is probably non-fiction based on the author's experience. Mike Lunnon Wood is an absolutely engrossing writer although the battles are really bloody and I don't suppose this other book will be much different as it is another war story.

Comment

• Reading Sweet Caroline by Rachel Hauck who is a local Christian author.

Comment

• ok ... I'm gonna charge up my Kindle & download the Midnight Line.

Comment

• The Christmas Portrait for book club.
                I have Midnight Line on hold at the library.

Comment

• The Brass Compass, WWII French Resistance story, seemed timely after watching the Remembrance Day service from Parliament Hill, very solemn and sad. The Ottawa Children's Choir sang O Valiant Hearts and I got the sheet music for the hymn and have been playing it on the piano. Very haunting. I hope we never find ourselves in an awful and brutal war again.

Comment

• Since my last report

The girl in the green dress by Cath Staincliffe. Different but I liked it.

Last resort by Quintin Jardine. Bob Skinner series, a couple of years old, I must have missed it when first issued. Good story but a lot of it takes place in Spain and with unfamilar names of people and places concentration is needed to remember who are the goodies and who are the baddies.

Requiem for an assassin by Barry Eisler. First one I've read by this author, thanks Style/Deanie. I'll be looking for another on my next trip to the library

State Secrets by Quintin Jardine. The new one in the Bob Skinner series. I liked this better than Last Resort but I think I preferred Mr Skinner when he was a proper policeman.

Sacrifice by Caroline Arnold. Featuring Detective Madison Knight. I have read a couple in this series previously, quite good, especially as it was free on Kindle.

Talking to the dead by Harry Bingham. New author to me. Set in Wales. Most fictional detectives have some kind of hang up (often over indulgence in alcohol), this one is no exception but I though it was dwelt on too much. Otherwise a good story

Now onto My Kind of Justice by Col Bury. Also new author to me. set in Manchester.

The last three are all free Kindle books. In summer I like to sit outside to read but find Kindle books difficult with the glare of the sun, even if not a particularly sunny day so I tend to read paper books in summer and Kindle in winter. I have a stock of around 30 so no shortage for me. Also the new ones by most of my favourite authors tend to be issued March to September.

Comment

• Made a note of a couple of the names YB I didn't recognize.

Comment

• YB, was thinking about you getting mixed up with who was who when a lot of the names were in Spanish. I don't even have to have them speak another language! If I'm reading when maybe a bit tired and there are too many characters I find myself often spacing back on my Kindle to find out what part a person played in the plot.

Comment

• Haunted by JP a Michael Bennett book.

Comment

• Then and Always by Dani Atkins

Comment

• Reading Victor Methos now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Starting on The Midnight Line
                                I haven't failed, i've merely found 10,000 reasons why it didn't work

Comment

Working...
                                X