No announcement yet.

Currently Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was reading a book called The Devil's Claw, a murder mystery in Guernsey (one of the Channel Islands off the south coast of England for those who may not be familiar with it) - got very involved and obscure, and lots of pages in italics which I don't care for, after a while I didn't care who had committed what and shut it down and requested a refund as it was a Kindle book.

Comment

• I've been cheating! Listening to books rather than reading them. And I have so many new ones to read!

Comment

• I'm 70% through CJ Box's latest Joe Pickett novel, WOLF PACK. Liking it for the most part, but I prefer Craig Johnson's (Longmire) version of Wyoming and it's residents.
        sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

• I liked C. J. Box and then one of his books was really full of lots of gore and the hero, forget his name, behaved in an unheroic type manner and I was kinda disappointed as he was being as bad as the men he was mad at so I haven't read anything of his since. How was his latest? Joe Pickett that's the name I forgot until I glanced up again at your post.

Comment

• Originally posted by momckee View Post
            I liked C. J. Box and then one of his books was really full of lots of gore and the hero, forget his name, behaved in an unheroic type manner and I was kinda disappointed as he was being as bad as the men he was mad at so I haven't read anything of his since. How was his latest? Joe Pickett that's the name I forgot until I glanced up again at your post.
            I finished WOLF PACK. I give it a B++.
            sigpic The rules are: There ain't no rules.

Comment

• Not reading ... got in a lazy streak . Listening to Celtic music for sleep tho.

Comment

• I think that it is the first time this year that I've put my recent reads list on here.

I started with three kindle short stories, one by Peter Robinson and two by Quintin Jardine, Both authors are ones I would list among my favourites but I wish I hadn't bothered with these three.

Susan C Muller - Autumn Secrets. New author to me, I liked it
                Carl Bernstein/Bob Woodward - All the President's Men. The Richard Nixon/Watergate story. Complicated, far too many characters which was difficult to follow. Abandoned half way through.
                Peter Grainger - An Accidental Death. New author to me, fairly good
                David Baldacci - End Game. I tried one of his a few years ago but wasn't impressed but this was given to me by a friend so I decided to try it. Was pleasantly surprised
                Graham Hurley - Curtain Call. One of my favourite authors (Faraday & Winter series). That series finished a few years ago, this was a standalone and very good.
                Celina Grace - Chimera. Have read this lady before, the series featuring Detective Kate Redman is good.

Comment

• Following on from my previous post (hope you haven't all fallen asleep

Grant McKenzie - The Fear in Her Eyes. Very good
                  John Connelly - a Game of Ghosts. My first try of the Charlie Parker series as mentioned on here (or the old forum). Not for me, abandoned before half way
                  David Baldacci - The Forgotten. I remember an outcry on the old forum about the character in this book, John Pullar. Modeled on Reacher. Despite this I quite liked it.
                  RC Bridgestock - Poetic Justice. Very good. Set in my home town although names are changed. A prequel in the Jack Dylan series
                  Brian Freeman - The Crooked Street. Brian never disappoints although I prefer the Johnny Stride series
                  Lynda La Plante - Widows Revenge. OK but not as good as the original Widows series from the '80's
                  Tana French - The Wych Elm. I usually like this lady but not this time, did not finish
                  Robert Goddard - One False Move. Excellent as indeed most of his books are.
                  Louise Penny - Dead Cold. As recommended by Mo. Now over the years Mo has pointed me in the direction of a number of good authors but not this time, couldn't get into it.

Hoping to collect the new Harlan Coban from the library tomorrow

Comment

• YB - I had trouble getting into Louise Penny's most recent book because it involved lots of scamming via dishonest investors and as I don't know much about the stock market I sort of hurried through some of the bits. I liked it when it got back to the Three Pines characters - took me a while to finish the book.

Comment

• YB, I quite like John Connelly's Charlie Parker series, but I can understand when someone doesn't. The books lean towards a bit of science fiction with some of the characters.

Comment

• It is difficult, Deanie. Not every book by a particular author is good and if the first one you pick up is of the "not so good" variety it puts you off that author. For example I did not finish the first David Baldacci I tried a few years ago and ignored him ever since until I was given one by a friend a few weeks ago and I found that OK. Another author I tried and abandoned a few years ago is Jo Nesbo, I have been given one of his so will try it soon.

Anyone else have an opinion on Jo Nesbo?

Comment

• Yep. I like Jo Nesbo and his Harry Hole character.

Comment

• Haven't read any of Nesbo so must have a look to see if it's something I'd like.

Comment

• cureently re=reading Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich. I have several books to read. An Iris Johansen came out this past month & a Clive Cussler. And this month we have a WMC # 18 from Patterson & a Lucas Davenport too! Love that guy! I read from my Kindle last night for the first time in months.

Comment

• Got to read an excerpt of the new Karin Slaughter The Last Widow ... a Will Trent book! Sounds gooooood! Due out in August.

Comment

Working...
                                X